Teresa's Reviews > Corambis

Corambis by Sarah Monette

Dec 09, 10

I read this because I had thoroughly enjoyed the previous 3 books in the series but I think this one is not nearly as good. It's not bad but it is not as deeply engaging. I felt like I had come to know and care about the characters through the first 3 books but by in this one they were too different and capricious. The ending was ultimately somewhat unsatisfying. I think the problem was that in the other books Felix and Mildmay are interacting fully with other characters and in this book the other characters feel very tangential to the larger point of finally getting these brothers to admit they care for each other. The storyline feels very isolated. Monette also introduces an entirely different world (Corambis and Caloxa) with steam engines and universities and it is not as engaging as Melusine. It's not a steampunk book so the attempts feel clumsy. I think this book is worth reading just to finish the series. The beginning of the series is SO GREAT that I felt disappointed but it's not a terrible book just not on the level of the others.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Corambis.