Emily May's Reviews > Battle Royale, Vol. 01

Battle Royale, Vol. 01 by Koushun Takami

May 17, 2015

bookshelves: graphic-novels, favourites

Ok, I'm not a massive manga fan and I bought this on a really random whim to find out what the fuss was about... and wow. Seriously, this is not a nice book by any means but it is incredible in a must-know-what-happens-next way. It's full of very graphic (well, it is manga) sex and violence, disturbing scenes of mental illness and a horrifying look at the depths of human depravity. But it also has hope against the odds, and friendship, and love.
This is a series that spans many issues and will take the reader on a journey both around the island, but also deep inside the human mind. I can understand why some people wouldn't like this book, I find it hard to apply the word 'like' to it myself without sounding like a psychopath, but it's gripping and intriguing... you are never bored. Trust me, you should read it. But make sure you come prepared with a strong stomach.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Royale, Vol. 01.

message 1: by Akke (new) - added it

Akke Where did you read this? Because I'm trying to find them online or in shops but they're unavailable, like everywhere.

Emily May I bought it from Forbidden Planet but many major bookstores should have them in the graphic novel section.

message 3: by Akke (new) - added it

Akke They're not at my local comic book store, or at my local bookshop and I can't seem to find them online at websites or mangasites where you can read mangas online but thanks anyway!

message 4: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Hansen The manga has been out of print for years.
You can read it scanned on this site: