Emily May's Reviews > Dead Until Dark

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Apr 08, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-uf

I started reading this series because I was currently watching True Blood and had developed a slight obsession with Eric. Since then, the books have become an absolute guilty pleasure of mine. They are not the best written and occasionally we get a little too much of what we don't care for (i.e. fairies and shifters) but amid the hot vamp sex and murder mysteries... who really notices those anyway??

Most characters have both annoying and redeeming qualities, but this is good - I never did like the I-can-do-nothing-wrong hero/heroine. Plus Eric is hot... have I said this already?

If you're looking for a life-changing experience, try The Handmaid's Tale, but if you want something light, chick-lit style and kinda sexy too Sookie Stackhouse and her merry band of random supernatural creatures are where it's at. That probably sounded like a cheesy, promotional ad but what the hell.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Until Dark.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie I too have developed this slight obsession with Eric and based on your review have decided to read this book!

message 2: by Mdh (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mdh I have these as audiobooks and they're fantastic for running and long car trips. So trashy, so entertaining. One thing I do like about them though is how well they portray Sookie's blue collar life and her realistic worries about not being able to work and therefore not being able to pay the bills. It's refreshingly realistic, even though sexy, sexy Eric and all of the shenanigans are not!

Emily May Excellent point, I love the realism in the subplots too, it balances out the series' more farfetched aspects (but it's so sad that Eric is one of the less realistic things) :D

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy Team Eric indeed <3 :D

Sabrina Same reason why I started reading them too!

Lillie Definitly hot for Eric!!!

Tasha☺ Totally love Eric