Sandy's Reviews > The Simple Truth

The Simple Truth by David Baldacci

U_50x66
Dec 09, 10

Read in December, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Rufus Harms is in prison because he killed a little girl while in the Army. But the Army had pumped him full of a drug PCP and he was out of his mind. A big cover-up ensued. 25 years later, Rufus has remembered details about that night and the Army men involved. He sneaks a letter out to the Supreme Court.

This book seems far-fetched to me in ways, but maybe I'm naive. Like the Army's extremes in protecting their secret. Two of the Army men involved working at the prison and keeping constant survelleince of Rufus. Two of the other men assigned top-ranking security jobs at the Supreme Court (SC). Wouldn't it just have been easier to kill the guy. But the most over-the-top was the SC clerk Sara who falls for John, the brother of a murdered lawyer who wanted to help Rufus. The day John finds out his brother is dead, Sara (who John had only met once) throws herself at John--like she wanted to go swimming in their underwear, she follows him around, etc. Says she only wants to help him, but it just sounds really weird. I had trouble relating to the Sara character.

Rufus and his brother Josh are very likable characters. John's family seems very real with their problems of sibling rivalry, mother with Alzeimers, etc. The book moves along well and it was a page-turner especially at the end. I liked the element of the Bible and healing power of prayer. Overall, it was an interesting read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Simple Truth.