Angela Paquin's Reviews > Ulysses

Ulysses by James Joyce

F 50x66
Jan 24, 2008

Read in January, 2008

This is one of the most intimidating books on my list. Yet I tackled it.

Well I'm done with my James Joyce class getting an A- on a final paper which if you read Ulysses... I'm still amazed that I got that grade in a graduate level class... My topic was "Mozart's opera Don Giovanni in Joyce's Ulysses."

This book improved my reading comprehension. It is suggested that you read one chapter then read The New Bloomsday Book by Henry Blamires and then go back and read the chapter again. I did it and by the time I got to the end, I didn't need the Blamires book.

You must read Potrait of the Author... and Dubliners first because the same characters pop in and out of Ulysses and it's good to know their backstories.

Of course it also doesn't hurt to have a familiarity of the Odyssus myth. I didn't know all of the Odyssus myth when I started the book.

Joyce is musician and a linguist. He plays with language so much, uses different narration styles, streams of consciousness, that it can be frustrating to follow at times. Some times you catch yourself just staring at the page saying, "What the hell did I just read?"

Bloomsday is June 16. I believe they celebrate it in NYC and Dublin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ulysses.