Becky's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Apr 21, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, ebook_nook, 2011, highly-recommended, leg-hump_worthy, favorites, political, reviewed, owned
Recommended to Becky by: Chris&Dawn
Read from April 14 to 20, 2011

Before I read this book, I had read some reviews which had me wondering if this one would be something I'd like, reviews from people whose opinions I trust. I am willing to read anything though, so the book stayed on my "TBR Someday" mental list... Until I decided to read it along with some friends. Friends who then got me so excited to read this that all of my reservations were hanging by a thread and blowing in the breeze.

And I can honestly say that not only did this book not suck, but that I loved it so much that I feel like other books I've loved should now be re-evaluated on this new scale in my head. I love it when a book exceeds my expectations and leaves me kind of lonely afterward because it's over. But luckily, this story isn't over... I've only just begun. SQUEEE!

I'm not going to discuss the story in this review. I wouldn't even know how to do it justice anyway. I will say that it kept me completely enthralled all the way through. Reading this book was less like reading and more like living it vicariously through the characters. I loved the characters, and reading about them had me a bundle of anxiety almost from the very beginning. I HAD to know what would happen, and at one point I had my fists so tightly clenched in nervousness that I left fingernail marks on my palms. One event was so gut wrenching to me that it took about 10 minutes to fully hit me, and then I was lost. I was so angry and shocked and hurt by this event that I had to vent and let it out and I was left seething and miserable... and then the sadness hit.

THIS is the kind of thing I read for. All of those feelings and reactions are why I read. The bar has been raised.

I loved the writing as well. In fact, it worked so well for me that I barely even noticed it - which to me is a great thing. I don't want to notice the writing - I feel like if I do, the author should have done better at making it invisible. The subtleties in the writing were awesome, especially the voices of the characters in their point of view narration - not their dialogue, but their interpretation of things going on around them. The foreshadowing was so perfectly done that I didn't even realize it was being used, even though it was serving its purpose and making me into that little bundle of nerves, until it was mentioned.

I loved this book. I cannot wait until the next one. Fantastic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

04/14/2011 page 1
04/16/2011
26.0% "Really enjoying this one so far. :)"
04/20/2011
100.0% "Review to come..."
show 10 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chris Damn. Where's the "like" button? Ahh well. *LIKE*

Seak (Bryce L.) I call this series "reading crack". It's the fastest I've ever read something this huge.

Leslie WOW. Your review makes me believe that I should run not walk to the bookstore to buy my own new copy rather than wait for it from the library (21 people in front of me *sigh*)

Angie I refuse to read these books again or continue in the series till they are all out. George really procrastinates and I just can't take the suspense nor can I remember what happened if I wait too long to read the next book!

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) Angie, I totally agree! I remember last book tour, oh, just him saying 6 months till the next and it's now been 6 years!

message 7: by Bondama (new) - added it

Bondama Becky & Angie -- I've been waiting to find someone who just is starting these books to see if they're worth it. I loved the beginning of the miniseries, but that's as much due to artistic direction (costumes, etc.) as it is to the book--

But now, now I KNOW that I'll enjoy them!!

Dustin Becky- I am thrilled that you think so very highly of A Game of Thrones! It's truly mesmerizing, isn't it?

Bondama- you WILL enjoy this epic series, and they are MORE than WORTH IT, IMO.

Angie- Book V is supposed to be published on July 12..But I know what you mean, the last installment came out in 2005!

mark monday love this review!

Leslie My review should simply say "See Becky's review" LOL

Becky Leslie wrote: "My review should simply say "See Becky's review" LOL"

LOL!

Maciek I heard so much good about this series. I'm waiting to see what you think of the next volumes.

Becky Maciek wrote: "I heard so much good about this series. I'm waiting to see what you think of the next volumes."

I'm on the 3rd book now and loving it. The 2nd book was a little slower in the first half, with a lot more maneuverings and setting up of stuff, but the 2nd half was fantastic.

The 3rd book has been great all the way through so far, I'm at about halfway now. :) I actually just had to set it aside for work, but that was good because the line I just read before it gave me insta-rage... and fear. It's awesome. :D

I'm afraid to recommend it to you, lest you hate them (and some do) but really you should read them. I love them. :D

Dustin Hi, Becky-

Some readers actually hate this series!?!

Maciek Thanks Becky! When I'll have time for something of this caliber I'll surely give it a try.

Cassy Great review! I finished this book recently and cannot figure out where to start a review.

I am curious what event this was. (view spoiler).

Michael I don't know how to tell you this, but the second book is better....:)

Becky Cassy, you would be correct. ;)

Michael, I have actually read the 2nd book, and actually didn't think that it was better. I had a hard time really getting going with it. The writing was great, but I felt that it was a whole lot of build-up and it took me a LONG time to get through 1/2 of the book. The 2nd half was very redeeming though.

The 3rd book was amazing - just as good as this one.

Michael When it comes to the epic series, I have to let them breathe a bit between one installment and the next. So I've read the first two and am now getting to a point where I can pick up book three.

I liked book two more than book one...but that's just me I guess.

Dustin For me, this epic series just gets better-and more intense-with each book.:)