Jess the Romanceaholic's Reviews > The Perfect Wife

The Perfect Wife by Jane Goodger

** spoiler alert ** See, I'm supposed to be painting, and yet, here I am reviewing this book instead lol

Alrighty lemme just jump right in:

What worked for me:
*Unrequited love plus a revenge plot = epic win in my book

*It was set in the states, and on the east coast, which is a refreshing change for a historical novel

*It. was. angsty. as. faaak. *falls over*

*The writing itself is beautifully done. Rich without being flowery, deep without being dragging. Even when I didn't necessarily agree with where the plotline was going, I was glued to this book.

*The push and pull between our hero and heroine, who desperately didn't want to fall in love with each other but couldn't help but do so. The fact that they both felt guilty about what they'd done/were doing to the other, and the fact that they HAD developed a friendship before they got married in the beginning was lovely.

What didn't work for me:
*Plus size heroine loses all the weight and becomes incredibly hot before she gets her man. Bah. Once, JUST ONCE, I'd like to read a book where the hero is initially turned off by the fat chick only to fall in love with her despite her physical appearance not being what he's normally attracted to. Anybody know of a book like that? Bueller? Bueller? Anybody? Bueller?

*The twist with the grandfather -- I really think that WHOLE subplot could've been left out without hurting the story, and it would've shortened it quite a bit.

*I admit, I'm stuck on the divorce. Especially since in those days, divorcing a woman was as good as proclaiming her a harlot and stitching a big fat A on her bodice -- there is no way that he didn't know that divorcing her would hurt her worse than a marriage of convenience. Srsly, this book makes me wish I wrote fanfiction so that I could change the plot so that they never divorced, but that he merely abandoned her or disillusioned her or hell, fell for her chubby arse shortly after marrying her. Or something lol

And yet, despite those things, it was a really fanfrickintastic book. There was just enough comedy to keep things from getting too heavy, and just enough immaturity and angst amongst the main characters to keep me reading.

I'm gonna say 4 1/2 Stars (it'd be five, but dangit just once I want the fat chick to get her man while she's still fat lol)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Wife.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 5: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy "JUST ONCE, I'd like to read a book where the hero is initially turned off by the fat chick only to fall in love with her despite her physical appearance not being what he's normally attracted to" --OMG my thoughts exactly! I've been trying to find a book like this but haven't encountered one. Do you have a shelf for these types of books? I would appreciate any recommendations!

Jess the Romanceaholic I don't have a shelf, because there aren't really that many out there lol If you like smutty paranormals though, His Teddy Bear by Eve Langlais is pretty good. She's "chubby" and confident in her looks, but he's turned off by her appearance when he first sees her.. It's a "fated to be mated" type book, but was pretty decent if you like that sort of thing. I'll have to think on it and see if I can think of any others -- they're rare though so that might be it for now lol

message 3: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Jess the Romanceaholic wrote: "I don't have a shelf, because there aren't really that many out there lol If you like smutty paranormals though, His Teddy Bear by Eve Langlais is pretty good. She'..."

I've read that already, and also her Alien Mate series (the heroines are plump/chubby too). I mean, does it really take a sexy alien man to appreciate and love a chubby woman?! LOL. Really enjoy Eve Langlais's stories for a quick and fun read.

Jess the Romanceaholic Well darn lol Sorry, that's the only one I could think of off the top of my head :P

❀ Minesha ❀ Big Girl Panties by Stephanie Evanovich: The hero, a fitness instructor is initally repulsed by the heroine whom he meet on an airplane, but helps her slim down.