Laura's Reviews > Going Home To Glory: A Memoir of Life with Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961-1969

Going Home To Glory by David Eisenhower

Aug 24, 11

bookshelves: biography-autobiography-memoir, history
Read from August 14 to 24, 2011

At parts, this reads almost like an amateur history/memoir - "....and then we did this, then this, then this...." - interesting, but in that polite way that listening to kids telling stories is interesting. In other parts, where David lets the reader really know his grandfather, the book shines. I think it's unintentional, but there's a sense of loss all the way through, knowing that the lively, brilliant, cantankerous General we're getting to know is going to decline and die, and that the author has lost his Granddad. But it's still good to get to know him.

I'm sure other reviewers will comment on the valuable insights it offers into 20th-century American politics, and note DDE II's years of research, his access to unpublished documents, his interviews, his personal insights, and his education. Yeah, that's nice. But what I'll remember most affectionately is the delightful mental image of the poor DMV examiner who had to give a driving test to the old General and former President who yelled "damnation!" as he screeched around corners.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Home To Glory.