Screenplaydiva's Reviews > The Lonely Hearts Club

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

Dec 08, 10

Read in August, 2010

If you’re a fan of the Fab Four from Liverpool: Paul, John, George and Ringo, then this book is definitely for you. If you don't know who The Beatles are then you aren't from this planet. The Beatles revolutionized music bringing the British Invasion to American shores. And America took notice, along with millions of fainting girls across the nation.

THE LONELY HEARTS CLUB is aptly named, as well as its main character, Penny Lane Bloom who is named after The Beatles song "Penny Lane" which was released in 1967. Penny's parents are so obsessed with The Beatles that they named each of their daughters after one of their songs.

The "Penny Lane" song title comes from the name of a street in the town of Liverpool where the band grew up. "Penny Lane," also, happens to be my favorite Beatles song. The novel had me humming the tune as I read. I thought it was clever how the book was separated by sections titled after Beatles songs.

As for Penny, I really liked her. She provides a realistic, witty voice to the stand-alone novel. THE LONELY HEARTS CLUB hooked me immediately from the opening line: "I, Penny Lane Bloom, do solemnly swear to never date another boy for as long as I shall live."

Penny's tired of being dumped on by boys and their broken-hearted lies. And after the final straw with her latest boyfriend, she decides to form The Lonely Hearts Club in honor of The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" -- of which she is the only member.

But soon, Penny finds that other girls who are dealing with the same dating dilemmas at McKinley High School want to join the club this includes her best friend, Tracy, who's been struggling with the dating scene herself. Tracy is fierce in her loyalty and friendship. She's extremely funny and knows how to break the ice with a guy, even though she doesn't see it herself.

Diana, Penny's old friend from middle school and a fellow McKinley classmate, is honest and sincere. And I really liked Ryan Bauer, Penny's "boy" friend. She is now starting to fight feelings toward him because of her advocacy to not date any more boys until after high school. But he is caring and a good friend to her. The other minor characters are cool, as well, including Penny's Beatles consumed parents.

I like the U.S. book cover, too. It's reminiscent of the Beatles album cover for "Abbey Road" -- Lennon in front, Ringo next, then Paul and George walking across a zebra pedestrian crossing on Abbey Road. It was their last album as a band. It featured hit songs "Come Together" and "Let It Be." Check out a live web cam of the actual street in London on Abbey Road Studios' website. I love watching the British cars and double-deckers go by.

THE LONELY HEARTS CLUB is romantic, filled with teen angst and raging hormones -- though nothing more than a kiss is shown, which makes the novel sweet and tender. I highly recommend reading it. Eulberg's website even features outtakes from the book.