Lynn's Reviews > The Widower's Tale

The Widower's Tale by Julia Glass

203227
Dec 08, 2010

Read in December, 2010

This is my first Julia Glass novel. I went into it with no expectations one way or the other and, I admit, I wasn’t too sure at first. For me, a good read is one which has me thinking about the characters and/or their situations at odd moments during the course of my day. This didn’t happen until I was well into the story, but happen it did. The characters are well-drawn, interesting, and real individuals. Percy, the protagonist is a retired Harvard librarian and has the pedantic nature and dry wit one would expect from a man with such a calling. His daughters both show the effects their mother’s early, tragic death has had on their lives, each in her own unique way. There are probably too many themes here – family, forgiveness, death, life, choices, sexuality, aging, health insurance, and more, but that’s life, right? We’re never given one thing at a time to deal with - it’s always something coming at you from every direction. According to those criteria then, I must give this book credit for realism, too. I look forward to reading more from Julia Glass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Widower's Tale.