Dan Schwent's Reviews > Stalking The Angel

Stalking The Angel by Robert Crais

Mar 21, 11

bookshelves: crime-and-mystery, 2010
Read from December 17 to 19, 2010

An ancient copy of the Hagakure, a Japanese text, goes missing from a rich man's safe and it's up to Elvis Cole to track it down. The man's daughter Mimi goes missing with a warning to call off the search. All signs point to the yakuza. Can Cole and Pike bring back Mimi and find the Hagakure?

The central teaching of the Hagakure is "The Way of the Warrior is Death" and that would have been a good title for this book. Elvis Cole goes from one grisly murder to the next, uncovering more and more dark information about the relationship between Mimi Warren and her father. Due to Mimi's mental state, by the end I wasn't exactly sure what was the truth and what was the lie.

The plot had a lot of twists, many of them unexpected, but followed the same conventions as the previous Cole book, the Monkey's Raincoat; lots of sleuthing leading to a huge bloody shootout at the end. It was suspenseful but not revolutionary. I lost count of the 80's references.

As much as I wanted to keep thinking of Elvis Cole as a thinly veiled copy of Robert B. Parker's Spenser, I'm forced to abandon my curmudgeonly stance and admit that Cole's a helluva lot more than that. For one thing, I've never seen Spenser make such a dog's breakfast out of a case. Cole was fleshed out quite a bit more in this one. Joe Pike had a few lines but still feels like a walking collection of guns to me.

Stalking the Angel was one hell of a serpentine read. If you've got four or five hours to kill reading a thriller, you could do a lot worse.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stalking The Angel.

Quotes Dan Liked

Robert Crais
“Stalking the Angel
[Joe]"I could off anybody in this place five times over."
[Elvis]"Could you off someone and get away with you here?"
[Joe]Head shake. "I'm too good even for me.”
Robert Crais, Stalking the Angel
tags: humor

12/17/2010 page 1
show 5 hidden updates…

message 1: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey I started reading Crais after this book was published but this series is very good, and most of the books I have read are excellent.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent I've read a couple more after this one. They keep getting better.

message 3: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Reichenbaugh I need to give Crais another chance. I'd started way too far into the series (LA Requiem) and I didn't get into it.

message 4: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey I dont think I started the series until The Last Detective, which was Cole 9 or so. But the first book I read was The Two Minute Rule, which was really good. Maybe try his Joe Page books first. The Watchman was excellent.

James Thane I agree that The Two Minute Rule is by far and away Crais's best book. The characters are much more believable than those in the Cole/Pike series, and he doesn't strain nearly so much to be a smart ass in this book.