Ariana's Reviews > Good Oil

Good Oil by Laura Buzo

Jan 05, 11

bookshelves: alternating-pov, ya-contemporary, annoyed-me, aussie
Read in December, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I can't review it without spoiling it for you (so DON'T READ THIS if you don't want to know anything about the book, the characters, the ending), but if I could give it negative rating I would. I gave it one star just because it means "I didn't like it"

What's the point of this book?
Nothing happens (for like 7/8 of this book..) and in the precise moment when something is about to happen and I am like "ok, maybe it wasn't that pointless", then everything goes down .. end of story.

Am I the only one feeling that way or what?
I mean, I didn't find it funny (ok, not that funny anyways), I didn't find it interesting (there were some nice conversations and that was the only thing keeping me reading it, but not interesting enough), I tried so hard to finish it (and I think that I gave up on more interesting books before).. and maybe it wasn't meant for me (duoh!) but are teenagers really suppose to learn something from it?
What?!

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Oil.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

'Sabell i feel the exact same way!!! nothing happens, and when the thing you're waiting for is about to happen, it doesn't...it's like the whole book was...i dunno

Ariana To be honest, I don't even remember much about it, I read it, it bored me and I didn't want to think about it.
People from my friends list seemed to love it for some unknown reason, I just feel that my theory about "all Aussie books being great" has its own exception here ;))

Book_freak Gosh your review is soooo right!! I finished the book & im like ' wha-aaaaaaat?!!' amd im so very confused why I only see four and five-star reviews 8o

Ariana Yeah, contemporary books are quite tricky - I want to learn something from them, to inspire me or to make me feel some kind of carousel of emotions. This one was pretty much forgettable for me, I kept hoping for something major to happen in the ending, but it never did *sigh*