Hira's Reviews > Anna and the French Kiss

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

May 18, 12

bookshelves: ya, ongoing-series, romance
Read from February 12 to 18, 2011

My thoughts while reading Anna and the French Kiss: Why am I not liking this more?!

This was a fun read and i liked it. I really did. It's just not for me though, a tad too fluffy.

Why did i not like it?

- The hype over it. I expected to love this, after reading many gushing reviews. (After making this mistake a few times now, i've decided to keep my expectations low except for a few choice books.)

- The characters. I wasn't involved with the story and the characters very much. It didn't break my heart/make me angry when a particular thing happened to Anna, or anyone else. I couldn't relate to them, their problems seemed foreign at the time (ha, boarding school in foreign country). But maybe I'm just weird and have unusual problems (This is more likely).

- Memorability. If i really like a book then i expect to remember it for some time, for it stick out in that particular genre. I barely remember the gist of the story now.

- I was able to put the book down very easily, I wasn't in suspense as to what would happen next or in love with the story.

- This point doesn't really count, but i want to add it anyways. I'm sad to say I didn't like St. Etienne very much. I'm sad because I'm always on the look out for new guys to crush on, on a regular basis, fictional or non-fictional. I guess I prefer tall guys...

“French name, English accent, American school. Anna confused.”

Why you should read this book?

- Umm, let me think. Remembering bad points is easier than remembering good points :/

- Anna is a likeable character, and she felt real and believable, and wasn't whiny, or a bitch...rather a little bit of those things at different times.

- You might just fall in love with the characters. Their interactions were fun and they really came to life at times.

“I wish friends held hands more often, like the children I see on the streets sometimes. I'm not sure why we have to grow up and get embarrassed about it.”

- It's Paris! Anna goes sightseeing as well, I liked those descriptions.

- If you like reading about boarding schools, then this is for you. Dorms, drama, living without parents, parties...

“I mean, really. Who sends their kid to boarding school? It's so Hogwarts. Only mine doesn't have cute boy wizards or magic candy or flying lessons.”

- It gets better around halfway through, harder to put down as well.

So, I don't discourage you from reading this, but don't delve into it with high expectations. It's a must read if you're in the mood for fluffy, feel-good books.

“I wish for the thing that is best for me.”
(Ironically, that's literally what I've wished for my entire life. Stephanie Perkins, you read my mind.)
24 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna and the French Kiss.

02/12/2011 page 20

HeatherJay Great review, Hira! I felt the same way. Although I liked the characters I kept thinking it was going to get better and I would love the book like everyone else. Never happened. Etienne came across more as a cool friend to hang out with rather than a leading man. Thanks for the review.

Hira Thanks :)

Firevsice Great review!! When I went to review this book my hand hovered between 3 and 4... And I thought the exact same thing..why am I not in love with this book that much?

Hira Thanks :) I felt kind of guilty not liking it more!

Sonia Can't agree more. I've heard great things about it, and was really looking forward to it. It's fun, and I love the setting - Paris! But it couldn't hold my attention and I couldn't relate to them as well.

message 6: by Mar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mar Excellent review, I agree with most of it since that's what I felt while reading the book and when I finished it. While it is a sweet novel for teen girls, I don't quite like the "double standards" of the main character and her whiny personality. I think that's not someone teenage girls should mirror themselves with. However, Anna was charismatic enough and Étienne fills the role of the dream guy perfectly. What a shame the secondary characters only stay in the background.

Hira Thanks :) Yes, it could have been better. But it was still good, nonetheless, imo.

Kitty I know, there was so much hype over this book. I expected it to be better