Kasia S.'s Reviews > Ashes

Ashes by Scott Nicholson

2087548
Jan 29, 11

Read from December 08, 2010 to January 02, 2011

Don't expect a meaningless blood drenched gore fest from this collection, this time Scott mixes it up using stories written throughout different times in his life, some being quite difficult and painful, hence the slightly melancholy tone but exquisitely written never the less. I adored the intro written by Jonathan Maberry, it really makes you think about horror and what it really means, the different ways it can go when it overlaps genres and the origins of proper horror before all the Halloween style slasher movies hijacked it and placed it in a light that not everyone embraces, I found this collection to be intelligent and so well written that it almost made me forget that it was fiction (until the chilling parts entered), each story was different but it had a link to the next one and for me everything worked beautifully inthis collection. I like how Scott's horror stories overlap different genres of horror, sometimes you're not sure if something supernatural is going on, people are evil enough to sustain a horror story with their own muscles, no ghost necessary, but you just don't know, it's the unknown in the story that keeps the creep factor high and it sort of spilled over to me, I kept wondering what each new story was and what was really going on. This book was such a bargain that I hope more people get to read it because Scott Nicholson can write, his language is smooth and almost poetic, and it creates an instant picture in your head, when you read a disjointed book nothing can save it, no fear of that happening here, for short stories he did an amazing job of making them flow.

This wonderful melange of twelve chilling tales kept me busy for a few days, it was such a treat to pick this up and read one or two or three, I don't usually read short stories because I like to put some time into getting to know the characters, but it was not a problem here, the realistic feel only made them darker and their demise so much scarier. I don't want to write out specifics about each tale because the unknown is the best part, to spoil the main bits would be like reading a good mystery from the last page, so go find out on your own what Nicholson is all about, I'm sure most people will be back for more.

- Kasia S.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes.

12/28/2010