Kjersti's Reviews > Fire and Fragrance

Fire and Fragrance by Andy Byrd

Feb 07, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in February, 2011

This is a book with a very important message for our time.. And it's about one of a very significant movement in modern Christianity. However, the writing is awful, and hyperbole abounds. Words like massive, huge, violent, extreme and tremendous are found in around two thirds of every sentence, and almost half the sentences in the book end with an exclamation mark. Now that's a shame, because when God does something there is no need for exaggeration! The communication is foggy as well, as some sentences are hard to understand or have dual meanings. It has a great message, poorly communicated.

Rating:
Message: 3-4/5
The way that message is shared: 1-2
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire and Fragrance.

01/30/2011 page 25
12.0% "This... Might well be the most challenging book I've ever read. We shall soon see."
01/30/2011 page 25
12.0% "I'm nuts, reading this right after Don Miller. Might do a book change.. Might not. I'll fing out in a couple hours, when I have a free period."
02/01/2011 page 95
44.0% "I really don't know how I feel about this book yet.. And I probably won't know much more when I'm done with it, if that sneaky feeling in my gut is to be trusted."
02/03/2011 page 107
50.0% "Plus sides: Great message, inspiring (and insane) examples. Down sides: Americanism; which means hyperbole (I know some of the examples, very distinct sentence builds and terminology (Pentecostal-ese?) and a few too many sentences that end like this!"
02/03/2011 page 107
50.0% "Plus sides: Great message, inspiring (and insane) examples. Down sides: Americanism; which means hyperbole (which is a shame, because I know some of the examples and they really don't need exaggeration), distinct sentence construction and terminology (Pentecostal-ian?) and a few too many sentences that end like this!"
02/05/2011 page 199
92.0% ""For so long, we have separated discipline and pleasure, thinking one is punishment and the other is freedom to do whatever we want. However we are moving to such a place that boundary lines are discovered to be pleasant. As we live in them, we find ourselves going off the tracks of the Christian roller coaster of ups and downs into a life of pleasure-filled discipline.""
show 3 hidden updates…