Larry Zieminski's Reviews > The Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot: A New Look at Betrayer & Betrayed

The Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot by Bart D. Ehrman

Dec 11, 10

Recommended for: Early Christian History fans
Read from December 08 to 11, 2010

This is a great book, if you know what you're getting. This is not a translation of the Gospel of Judas. It includes a summary of the Gospel and a translation of a few of the passages, but you should look for another book if all you're after is the translation of the text itself.

Instead, Ehrman has provided a comprehensive history of everything surrounding the text. Not only do we get a history of how the Gospel was found, restored, and presented to the public, but we also get a history of the early Christian church (the widespread, conflicting beliefs), an overview of how Judas Iscariot is portrayed throughout history, and what this "new" gospel tells us about what the Christian movement was like in the years following the death of Jesus.

Ehrman writes in a highly readable style, meant for the layman's understanding rather for scholar's to study. A lot of his material overlaps with his other books though, so if you've read some of his previous books, you'll find yourself covering a lot of the same ground.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot.

42.0% "Interesting book so far, though I'm nearly half way through it and the author still hasn't gone into detail about what is in the Gospel (so far he has given a detailed history of Judas in Christian history, early Christian writing, and the history of how the text was re-discovered and preserved.)"