Kimberly's Reviews > Fearless

Fearless by Francine Pascal

Dec 09, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read from December 08 to 09, 2010

In need of an easy read that would fit in my coat pocket, I grabbed this book. I haven't read it for probably 10 years, but it was easy enough to remember everything that was going to happen.

So the book is about Gaia, a girl who can't feel fear, thanks to a genetic defect. The book is full of scenes of Gaia kicking the butts of various knife-wielding thugs, but it also has the typical teen mush: worries about boys and her looks, and run-ins with the most popular girl in school (who is mean, of course).

There are a few things that make the book a bit annoying (although I don't remember if these things annoyed me when I first read the book 10 years ago). First of all, Gaia spends a lot of the book groaning about her appearance; she is constantly talking about her "freakishly large thighs," ugly hair, or other features, but every guy in the book apparently finds her drop-dead gorgeous. Gaia is also apparently so brilliantly smart that she finds school super-boring and therefore doesn't even bother to try on her schoolwork, and thus her grades suck. Yes, advanced calculus is a piece of cake for this girl, but she's so dumb that she doesn't realize that guys are drooling over themselves in her presence. Apparently "smart" and "bright" aren't the same things.

The book switches back and forth between first- and third-person, which sounds like it would be annoying, but I actually enjoy the chance to get into different character's heads for a brief moment.

Still, this book sets things up well, and I recommend reading the first 12 books in the series. After that, don't bother--it was obvious that the series was supposed to end at Book 12 but books continued to come out just to make money.

Interesting fact: there was even talk of making a TV show based on the books at one point, but the plot of the TV show was vastly different than the books and very similar to other shows at the time, so the series never happened. Why they have to stray from a good formula is beyond me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fearless.