Sandy's Reviews > Cheaper by the Dozen

Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank B. Gilbreth Jr.

Dec 08, 10

bookshelves: biography
Read on November 01, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 2+

** spoiler alert ** I love this book. I read it for the first time many years ago and was fascinated. It's still a great read! I am intrigued by motion study and would have loved to have tried this. I love the original movie (1950) starring Clifton Webb, Jeanne Crain and Myrna Loy. I also like the sequel, "Belles on their Toes" which was also made into a movie. (I have an old hardbound edition which was published in 1949.)

I love the following quote at the end of the book--

"There was a change in Mother after Dad died. A change in looks and a change in manner. Before her marriage, all Mother's decisions had been made by her parents. After the marriage the decisions were made by Dad. It was Dad who suggested having a dozen children, and that both of them become efficiency experts. If his interests had been in basket weaving or phrenology, she would have followed him just as readily.

"While Dad lived, Mother was afraid of fast driving, of airplanes, of walking alone at night. When there was lightning, she went into a dark closet and held her ears. When things went wrong at dinner, she sometimes burst into tears and had to leave the table. She made public speeches, but she dreaded them.

"Now, suddenly, she wasn't afraid any more, because there was nothing to be afraid of. Now nothing could upset her because the thing that mattered most had been upset. None of us ever saw her weep again."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cheaper by the Dozen.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Judie Well, Sandy, that quote speaks to me. There have been several times in my life when I got my worst fear. I used to tell the kids, "When you do the thing you fear to do, the death of fear is certain." Once you have lived through something, the fear goes out of it. Death, of course, is in a category all by itself. It's really about the loss of the thing or person you loved most.