Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)'s Reviews > Devil May Cry

bookshelves: i-own, favorites
Read in November, 2010

** spoiler alert ** *Contains detailed sex scenes*

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
This book sucked me in from the very beginning and I loved every moment of it. The storyline was fast paced and interesting and emotional at times. The part where Ash met Kat for the first time actually had me tearing up, and if you know me at all you’d know that doesn’t happen often. I’ve only ever cried once over a book, and while storylines constantly tug at my heart strings and make me sad, it takes at lot to make me cry. And this....this was so emotional tears actually welled up in my eyes. I felt so much for Ash when he discovered he had a daughter all along and when he realised just how much of her life he’d missed. Artemis took from him the chance to know his only child. She robbed him of the chance to be a part of Katra’s life and childhood. It’s not fair and you have to feel for the man.
Katra was an amazing female lead. I simply adored her. She was strong and fierce and yet kind as well. She was definitely her father’s daughter in that regard. I loved her wit and sharp tongue. She had a great sense of humour and I loved watching her take charge and go against her mother in this book. It’s a good thing that she no longer takes Artemis’s words on face value. I think she's definitely one of my fave overall heroines in this series.

And I liked Sin....I liked him very much. He was honourable and true despite everything he’d endured in his life. He was scarred and unable to trust and yet he didn’t let that affect him to the point where he no longer cared about others. He was a fighter and a defender of the innocent and he actually cared deeply about other people. It was nice to see his compassion despite the fact that he was so untrusting and hardened. I can certainly understand why he hated Artemis so, and why he had difficulty letting Kat into his life.
I loved the romance in this book. Of all the people a person could fall for, falling for the man who wanted to kill you mother or your worst enemies daughter has to be a classic. And yet it happened. Even though Katra is Artemis’s daughter she’s nothing like her. She was kind where Artemis was cruel, she was brave where Artemis is cowardly and she cares when Artemis....just....doesn’t. And it was because of this that Sin fell in love with her. And in turn, Katra loved him because despite everything he’d experienced in life he was still ultimately a good man. I really enjoyed the banter and sarcastic humour that they exchanged constantly. It was hilarious and made them so much more enjoyable to read about.

I enjoyed seeing Simi and her sister in this book. Sim is one of my fave characters in this series. She brings a childlike fun and freshness to it every time she makes an appearance and since her sister’s joined the series it’s been even more fun seeing them interact. I love how she wants to eat everything and everyone and I for one am more than happy for her to take a bite (or five) out of the ‘heifer goddess’.
I think the ending of this was just wonderful. I love the fact that Katra and Sin are going to have a baby and that they get to throw it in Artemis's face. Hilarious!
I’m looking forward to continuing on with the series.....
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil May Cry.

Quotes Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Liked

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Kat laughed. 'Who wants to live forever?'
Kish put his hand up. 'For the record, I do.'
Sin scowled at him. 'Then why do you irritate me so often?'
Suicidal tendencies are inherent in my species?”
Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Any game plan? Xypher asked Sin.
Don't die.
I like it. Simple, bold. Impossible. Works for me.
Kat scoffed at his sarcasm. What are you bitching about, Xypher? You're already dead.
He laughed. You know, for once, it's good to be me.”
Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry

12/22/2010 page 82
22.0% "So Sin wants to kill Artemis, huh? Ah, a man after my own heart.
If you're reading this Krista we seriously have to recruit him to our 'plan'." 8 comments

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Well, this one is guaranteed to be better than the last, so that's good.

message 2: by Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) (last edited Dec 21, 2010 11:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Yeah. It looks really good. I'm excited going into it, but a tiny bit disappointed cos there was someone i loved in the other book for her to be with. Still, can't wait to start.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Who did you want her with??

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Solin! He was so cool and sexy and funny.... *sigh*

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Hmmm. I have no idea who that is. Who is that? LOL.

message 6: by Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) (last edited Dec 21, 2010 11:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Oh, he was just someone in the book. A half Dream-Hunter who helped Arik out. He was suave and sarcastic. Just how i liked the. There were a few sparks flying between he and Kat.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Hmmm, well as long as he's still alive, maybe he'll get his own book. I mean, this series has to go on for quite awhile longer, considering we know Nick has to have a book, and currently that seems faaaar away.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) And there are soooo many sexy dark-hunters left, too.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) I hope he gets a book. Oh, and i'll have Solin too btw. Seeing as i saw him first ;)
I really want Nick's book. He had a bit of a cameo with Kyrian in The Dream Hunter where he was only like 18 and the way he spoke and acted had me yearning for the Nick of old. He needs to come back.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Aww. It's crazy to read the YA books about Nick and then read the DH books about Nick, 'cause he's sooo different, it's so sad! Well, as long as we're claiming characters, I'll take Ethon...not sure when he pops up...but you might not have met him yet, so I get dibs.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) I haven't read the YA books yet. I plan too, but no bookshops near me have them. I'm gonna order them after i finished with the DH series.
Nope. I haven't met him yet.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Okay. I like the YA ones, 'cause there's lots of Kyrian and Ash in them. Yummy.

Oooh, goodie. More for me! Ah, I'm so lucky with all my amazing guys!

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Yummy is right! *drools*
You have quite the entourage. I only have 3. Hmmm, i know. Wanna give me Jace?

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) HAHAHA! I think we'll have to share him. He's just too much man for one person. And we're also sharing Stark.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Lol....he's too much for anyone. I think we best leave him to himself. Ahhh, Stark. Awakened comes out in 2 weeks! So close!

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) HON comes out every sixth months, right? It must, because it hasn't been an entire YEAR since the last one. I have my pitch-fork ready to send jets of flame into the book if I'm displeased.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Idk, but Awakened comes out on Jan 4th =) So it's not that far. I'm guessing it's every 6 months. That's actually pretty good, considering most authors release a book every year or so.
Ooooh. I need to get me one of those pitch-forks. They sound puuurdy!

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Yep. Here, I have an extra (okay, so I have more than one extra) *hands over a pitchfork* Enjoy! And use it well (but not sparingly).

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) *takes pitchfork* Oh, it's soooo nice. Thank-you. Now if you'll excuse me....i need to go hunt down my brothers and test out that it works.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Hmmm, is there some kind of device that creates siblings rather than destroys them? I want one! =)

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Are you an only child? I didn't know that?

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Yes. *pouts* It's weird, but the older I get the more I wish I had siblings.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) You can have mine if you want. I've got two younger brothers, but i guarantee you that if you spend a week with them you'd not only be begging me to take them back, but you'd be grateful to be an only child again.

message 24: by Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) (last edited Dec 23, 2010 01:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) ROFL. I think I'll go steal someone's sister, in that case. I'll use my pitchfork to command them to love me.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) I'd have loved a sister to be honest. That was the one thing i always wanted growing up. I hated being the only girl amongst two boys. But then again, it taught me a lot. I'm so much more equipped to face life having known my brothers. And i have a rare insight into the mind of guys. *gag*

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Haha, that sounds scary. Hmmm, which book character do I want for a sister...Okay, I'll take Chloe and force her to be my sister LOL. Who do you want?

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) It is. It really is,lol. Idk, maybe Chloe too. Or Yelena from Poison Study.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) If Zoey were my sister, I'd...disown her LOL. And if Kaylee were my sister...I'd beat her up. And if OPAL were my sister, I'd poison her food and add her to my collection of garden-conquests. Haha, wow, I don't sound creepy or anything. =)

message 29: by Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) (last edited Dec 23, 2010 07:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Disown her? Drown her would be better! I'm all for the beating. I think she needs to come down a peg or two. Or five. As for Opal. She needs to have her heart ripped out and stomped on like she did to poor Kade
No, not creepy at all, haha. Neither do I. We're both totally sane ;)

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Maybe a partial drowning for Zoey...just enough to spook her. Yeah, Kaylee needs to realize she's not queen of the world. Yeah, I think Devlin should revert back to his true colors and torture Opal every day for the rest of her life. That'll teach her.
(I wonder...if someone read our conversations out of context...well, I think they'd be afraid).

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Okay, only a partial drowning for Zoey *sulks*
You'd think just being with Devlin would be torture enough. I still can't believe she picked him over Kade. I'm actually really glad you told me cos if i'd have read the series, i think i would have burned the books when i was finished!

(Definitely! They'd be afraid, very afraid)

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Oh, the second I finished the book, I threw it in the garbage, even thought it was brand new. I didn't want to ever see it again. I even took the book off my "read" list, because I didn't want it to taint the rest of my books LOL. Oh, this talk of sisters reminds me...(hehe)...it annoys me how Amanda just lets Tabitha insult and bully Kyrian. If Kyrian even looks at Tabitha wrong, Amanda bites his head off. :( If my crazy sister said stuff like that to my husband, I'd whap her over the head with a watermelon!

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) LOL. There are a few books i've 'read' but not actually finished that i just haven't bothered classing as 'read' on here. The 3rd Immortal's book, the 3rd Gemma Doyle book and a few others. They're just not worth mentioning.
A watermelon? Original i'll give you that....i'd have gone for the classical frying pan. Yeah, but Tabby says it in a teasing way. In Val's story she mentions how much she does love her brother-in law.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) You think so? Hmm, I got the impression she was being totally serious and just using teasing as a cover-up LOL, but maybe you're right. If so, I hate her a little less. I didn't even get through the first Immortal's book. As for the Gemma Doyle, I read about a chapter of the first one, and then check some reviews and saw some things I didn't like, so I didn't continue.

message 35: by Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) (last edited Dec 23, 2010 11:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) After the watermelon, I'll go with the frying pan--then I'll crack some eggs on her unconscious form. I'll reserve the knives in the butcher block for Artemis. *sinister cackling* Haahaha.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) I think she's semi serious. In the first book she really doesn't like him, but i think by Val's book she loves him. They'll just never be the best of friends, lol.
I read the first two Immortal book AGES ago, when they first came out and people everyone was reading them. This was when i was first getting into reading and i didn't know what great books were out there. I actually thought they were good at the time. Boy, do i feel stupid again. With Gemma Doyle i've read the first two and got halfway through the 3rd when someone told me the main guy dies in the end. Buzz-kill! It wasn't worth reading once i know that seeing as i hate unhappily endings so much :S

Sounds like a good plan!!! Artemis needs to get what's coming to her like, yesterday.

message 37: by Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) (last edited Dec 24, 2010 12:25AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Really? It's so funny how two people can read things so differently! I didn't get the impression that she even liked him, let alone loved him. I think I'll have to reread Val's book with new eyes.
YES!!! That's why I stopped reading the Gemma Doyle books! I read a spoiler saying the main guy dies, and so I didn't continue. I would have spent weeks sulking over it. And you're not stupid for thinking they were good LOL. I've thought lots of stupid books were really good, but when I reread them I realized how..not good they are. :) It really amazes me how many people don't mind really sad endings. I mean, you'd think people would want the main guy to survive, but apparently not.

Let's make up for lost time by torturing her twice as much LOL.

message 38: by Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) (last edited Dec 25, 2010 07:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Yep. That's what i got anyway lol. I'm pretty sure there's even a part where she mentions that she does love Kyrian as her brother-in-law in the book.
Yeah, i so would have too! Seeing he was Indian and she was from an upper class family and everything that would have meant at the time, i was expecting some us-against-the-world type of ending where she leaves everything for him and they get their HEA, but that didn't happen :S It was a miserable ending (i flipped to the last few pages). It left me completely unsatisfied.
Lol, thanks. Sometimes, i have this urge to go back over my reviews and change them. Especially when i know i've said great things about them that i don't really agree with now.
Nope. They often talk about self growth and how characters learn from bad experiences and yada, yada, yada and while that's all good and all, without some kind of happy ending it's pointless to me. There's nothing i hate more than becoming invested in a story and it's characters only to have them ripped apart or killed in the end. It's depressing!

I'm all for that!

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) What? How did I miss this? Maybe I'm so biased against her that it just went right over my head LOL. Yeah, I really don't read books--especially YA books--to learn things about life. I read them for fun! And death is NOT fun. I know exactly what you mean. I feel like the whole story is pointless if the characters die. Why tell the story? Why fall in love with characters just to have them killed?

I'm seriously tempted to start a group for people who hate sad endings or something LOL.

message 40: by Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) (last edited Dec 25, 2010 07:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Maybe. Why are you so biased over her? Is it cos of how she acted towards Kyrian in Night Pleasures? Cos, i let that go, and for the most part i don't feel one way or another about her.
I read them for the romance mostly =) And the great tales of course. God, no! Death is not fun. I don't mind it in a story, especially if it has a point and a purpose, but to me an anuthor killing off all the main characters or a character or two at the end just cos they can or cos they wanna make it dramatic is just annoying.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Yeah, I guess so. And in her book. For some reason, I have trouble forgiving characters who say mean things to the characters I love. It's the same thing that happened with Vane/Fang. I just can't put it out of my mind. YES! It seems as if authors think killing off main characters makes the book seem deep or something, but it doesn't. Kill off minor characters! :D

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) I get upset, but i tend to forgive them once i get to know them more and undertand what they themselves have been through in their lives.
Exactly! Kill the minor characters not the ones we love and adore. It's just depressing and dissapointing otherwise.

message 43: by Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) (last edited Dec 25, 2010 08:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Yep, that happens to me, too, sometimes, but not always. I think the only times it doesn't happen is when the people being hurt are my #1 book loves. I'm sure if Tabby were being mean to Talon or Wulf or someone, I wouldn't hate her.

Bye, Bye, minor characters!!! Ugh, this reminds me of this series where all of the characters fall in love and become immortal--except for the main character, who doesn't become immortal and whose love gets murdered and then it just ends with him crying after finding her dead while everyone else parties. I was like, "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!" You ruined the series for me now.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Alright, i can understand that. See Ash, Kyrian and Vane are my #1's, but i love Val too. And therefore i can't hate Tabby cos she makes him happy.

Hahahahaha! I like that... "Bye, bye minor characters". Funny! Oooh. What series was that? Sounds depressing. I don't wanna stumble across it now!

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) That makes sense. :) Grr, Vane. I do like Vane. I really do. I just want to punch him LOL, but then we'll be cool. I like Val, too. Ash, Kyrian, and Fang for me...we'll see if anyone else can top them (except Fang, 'cause no one can top him).

The Guardian's of Time by Marianne Curley. I mentioned before how the ending made me maaaad. I still wish I could re-write the stupid thing so I could actually still like a perfectly good trilogy.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) *gasp* You wanna punch my honey! Actually....i may not have an issue with that. You'd get over your issues with him and i could play nurse *wink* *wink* So everyone wins. But just one punch. No more!

I was gonna read that series, i probably still will, but at least now i won't be dissapointed with the ending going into it.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Haha, okay. One punch. I promise. Just one good one to the eye. I won't even break his nose :) Have fun kissing his "booboo" LOL.

Yeah, I really liked it 'cause I've never read anything like it before--the idea is so cool and original, but my poor baby is so sad now. :(

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Alright. One punch. No nose, mouth (i need that for kissing XD), groin or anything else. Then you two are square and i will kiss Vane's "booboo" all better. Lot's and lots and lots of kisses.

I liked the sound of it. It sounded interesting. Plus i've read her book, Old Magice and i liked it.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) *punches Vane in the eye* "Woo! Okay, okay, go and be happy with Rachel now. She'll fix you up."

YES! I really liked Old Magic, too, but that had a really sweet HEA. So I was expecting this series to have one, too, and it does...for everyone except poor Ethan (and his dead love).

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) "Come to mama Vane! I'll make you all better" *winks at Krista*

I always expect series to have HEA. Then when some don't i get really annoyed. If i was a published author i could never do that to my readers.

« previous 1 3