Julie's Reviews > The Fixer

The Fixer by Bernard Malamud

Jul 08, 11

The kind of story that humbles you abruptly and entirely--deftly pulls ignorance out from under your feet and dangles you in a terror you have been shielded from, and thus must watch. The kind of story that halts your world and hurdles you into another one of flickers of light in vacuums of pain--neither of which you understood and both which you shall redefine. I think of how these paradigms shrunk and hardened my grandfather when I visualize Yakov teetering nobly under their weight--and I have proof of the steeliness of sheer human will, the invincible pit of a bruised peach. Perhaps this is why I tend to favor tragic narratives; for the hope in them. A story that reminds you that people can pay and die unjustly for the truth, but the truth can't die as long as there are people who know it. Probably these are naive musings and metaphors proportional to my age--but the book inspired in me a gritty empathic resolve that will hold true always. The Fixer is easy to read and hard to swallow, a story you can read and a story you must know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fixer.