Fiction Fool's Reviews > Faefever

Faefever by Karen Marie Moning

Rating: (♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥)
For those of you just joining me, my name is MacKayla Lane, Mac for short. My real last name might be O’Connor, but I don’t know that for sure. I’m a sidhe-seer, one of the most powerful that’s ever lived. Not only can I see the Fae, I can hurt them and, armed with one of their most sacred Hallows—the Spear of Luin, or Destiny—I can even kill the immortal beings.

Don’t settle into your chair and relax. It’s not just my world that’s in trouble; it’s your world, too. It’s happening, right now, while you’re sitting there, munching a snack, getting ready to immerse yourself in a fictional escape. Guess what? It’s not fiction, and there’s no escape. The walls between the human world and Faery are coming down—and I hate to break it to you, but these fairies are so not Tinkerbells.

If the walls crash completely...well, you’d just better hope they don’t. If I were you, I’d turn on all my lights right now. Get out a few flashlights. Check your supply of batteries.
I swear each book in this series is better than the last, if that's even possible. There is so much forshadowing going on throughout the entire series that you better pay close attention to everything you read. I don't know how Ms. Moning does it. It's fantastic! A reread of this series is always recommended to find ambiguous clues you might to have missed the first time around. It's like M.C. Escher in words, but you have to go back and reread it to understand what I'm talking about.

Beginning where Bloodfever left off, Faefever is the 3rd book in Karen Marie Moning’s urban fantasy series featuring the main character MacKayla Lane (“Mac” for short), a sidhe-seer (she-seer) with the ability to see the Fae. It is the continuation of Mac’s journey in search of the Sinsar Dubh (she-suh-Doo), a dark book of unspeakable power and the revenge she seeks against the man she believes responsible for her sisters' murder.

Mac is still receiving pages from Alina’s journal from an anonymous source and is desperate to find answers that don’t seem to be forthcoming. She makes repeated efforts to stall everyone’s attempts to possess the Sinsar Dubh until she can choose an ally to side with. Unfortunately, her male counterparts, V'lane and Jericho are as evasive and manipulative as ever, making her decision next to impossible. There are, however, promising exhibitions of jealousy, trickery and never-ending competition for Macs' trust. But an apocolyptic outcome is likely as the evil ex-fae Lord Master (Darroc), also Alina's ex-lover and possible murderer, threatens to bring the walls down between realms on the night they will be at their weakest. Christian MacKeltar, Mac's druid friend and lie detector, is hatching a plan with his Keltar uncles as a last ditch effort to keep the walls from coming down. To make matters worse, Patrick O'Duffy's partner, inspector Jayne, is still hot on Macs' tail for something she knows she didn't do and she is still no closer to discovering who she can trust.

Like I said before... This is NOT a sparkly fairy tale about love and tiny beings with gossamer wings and fairy dust. It is a dark story with highly evolved, ancient and otherworldly beings that have been a part of our human world before the record of time itself. Think more along the lines of "Ancient Aliens" that were mistaken throughout history as Angels, Gods and Demons. With Seelie and Unseelie hallows coveted by our race as religious artifacts and beings so advanced they don't even consider the human race to be sentient. And now they seek to take over our world.

Dark, mysterious, suspenseful, graphic and violent, Faefever builds a rich and compelling world with vivid characters and a plot that continues to grow more complex, twisted and shocking as the series progresses. With a cliffhanger ending that leaves you running frantically for the next book, it’s torturous, yet entertaining. I think both men and women alike will be drawn into the Fever’s dark, intriguing world. There is something for everyone. I highly recommend it. You won’t be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faefever.