Catherine's Reviews > Pride Mates

Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley

Dec 07, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: class-difference, contemporary, crime-police-mystery-private-invest, fantasy-paranormal-sci-fi, fated-mate, read-2010, romance, scottish-irish-celtic, series, were-shifter
Read on November 10, 2012 — I own a copy

*Originally Read 12/5/10*

After accidentally leaving a book I was reading at work I was restlessly prowling my shelves when I came upon this. I'd heard some pretty good things about the book and I enjoyed some of this author's other books, so I figured I'd finally give it a go. I enjoyed it for the most part, but it unfortunately didn't thrill me as much as it did some of my friends.

The premise of the book was one of the most interesting parts for me. I really liked the society the author described and how she didn't skim over the unattractive prejudicial parts of it. It was nice to read a book where that issue isn't neatly brushed aside in order for the hero and heroine to have a happily ever after. Sacrifices had to be made on Kim's part if she really wanted to be together. Liam also had to sacrifice, but that seemed pretty small when compared to Kim's potentially life altering choice.

I really liked the glimpse of the shifter politics we saw--although they were also pretty frustrating at times. It really made the shifter hierarchy seem constrictive and prone to misuse. The reasons that were eventually given for Brian's defense (or lack thereof) were quite interesting. I didn't really see that coming, but I liked it!

I liked getting to know the secondary characters. Sean's real struggle to reconcile his role in the pack with the impact it has on his family tugged at my heartstrings. I also really loved Connor--he was adorable. I think my favorite secondary characters have to be Liam's dad, Dylan, and their neighbor, Glory. I feel sort of bad for Glory as things currently stand and hope that their storyline continues to develop in the next book.

Liam was a fun character for the most part. I liked the way he would lay his Irish on thick occasionally. It amused me that it irked Kim so much. I liked how laid back and matter of fact about his circumstances he was. Especially when I learned how his family ended up being collared. It would have made no sense to portray him any other way. Having said that, I still liked the hidden anguish over it that he showed at the end. His decision there made him seem extremely strong, although I fear for the future of the shifters.

Kim was a little more irritating than Liam, although I still ended up mostly liking her. She started out feeling real with her fear and determination but quickly fit herself to the standard PNR heroine mold. It's not necessarily a bad mold, but it makes them pretty interchangeable. I thought I'd see more of Kim's drive and passion for her work, but it really just felt like a plot device to me.

That leads into some of my issues with the book. For one thing, when exactly was Kim going to actually be a lawyer? It seemed awfully easy for her to live in a vacuum other than a token visit or two to her office. That's another thing--what company allows their employees to have random companions while they work? I'm not talking about just shifters, I'm talking about anyone hanging out in your workplace all day long for no reason and with no prior approval. That seemed pretty fantastical to me.

I really wish that the author would have set the relationship over a longer timeline. It didn't really make me think much of Kim when she compromised her case by screwing with a lead. Maybe that could have happened a bit further down the road than a day or two after their first meeting? Another turn off was Kim's incessant comparison of Liam to Abel--it jarred me out of the narrative each time I read about it.

The end was an incredible disappointment for me. That's the reason everything magically fixed itself in their relationship??? I don't know whether to be repelled by Kim who thought that that would fix everything or to be appalled by Liam who proved her right.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride Mates.

Keri Great review Catherine. I gave it 4 stars, but had a few of the same issues that you did. I am looking forward to the next one.

message 2: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Catherine!

Catherine Keri wrote: "Great review Catherine. I gave it 4 stars, but had a few of the same issues that you did. I am looking forward to the next one."

Thanks, Keri. I think I'll read the next one too. I liked the world enough to give it another go. Also, Sean seemed like he had some still waters going on in there. :)

Catherine Rane wrote: "Great Review Catherine!"

Thanks, Rane!

message 5: by Sans (new)

Sans Love the review, Catherine. You're consternation over the ending has me intrigued.

Catherine Sans wrote: "Love the review, Catherine. You're consternation over the ending has me intrigued."

I was pretty pissed off. It really left me with a bad taste in my mouth, but I didn't want to rant too much. Spoilers, you know?

message 7: by Sans (new)

Sans Absolutely! I'll just have to mark this as another book to move to the top of my TBR list so we can rant together. ^o^

Catherine Sans wrote: "Absolutely! I'll just have to mark this as another book to move to the top of my TBR list so we can rant together. ^o^"

Can't wait!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Great review, and you made some valid points. I gave this a 4 star, because at the time it was exactly what I was looking for. I loved Liam! LOL

I can't wait to see what you think of the next book.

Catherine UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Great review, and you made some valid points. I gave this a 4 star, because at the time it was exactly what I was looking for. I loved Liam! LOL

I can't wait to see what you think of the next book."

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Very thoughtful review, Catherine!

Catherine Thanks, Danielle!

message 13: by AH (new) - added it

AH Great review, Catherine. I've had this on my to-read shelf for a while.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Catherine wrote: "Thanks! I can't wait to see what you think of the next book as well. It would be nice if it was out already. :)"

I know, I couldn't believe it when I found out it wasn't released yet.

Catherine UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I know, I couldn't believe it when I found out it wasn't released yet."

The wait in between books is always a killer.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish In truth, had I known, I wouldn't have read it. I seldom start a series unless there are at least 2 out. I hate torturing myself that way. LOL

Fani *loves angst* great review Catherine! I'll probably stick with her historicals myself:)

Catherine Fani wrote: "great review Catherine! I'll probably stick with her historicals myself:)"

I seem to be all over the place with her books. I didn't like Stormwalker, was meh on this one, loved The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie, was meh on Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage... The list goes on with my varrying reactions to her Pirate books and her Nvengeria books. Weird, huh?

message 19: by AH (new) - added it

AH Inconsistent writing or just not your taste?

Catherine Her style just various significantly from series to series. It's both a good and a bad thing.

MelissaB Great review Catherine. I enjoyed the book for being a different shifter take but I had some slight issues too. The ending could have been handled better for sure.

Catherine Thanks, MelissaB. I really enjoyed the take on the shifter society and how they came to be in their current situation as well. It was my favorite part of the story.

message 23: by AH (new) - added it

AH I have her book The Calling. I got it in a pile of Kobo freebies in October. Have you read it?

Catherine Yes, I've read it. I read that way back before I knew who she was. Mmmmm, not to my taste.

Laura the Highland Hussy Great review, but I loved this book!! Sorry it wasn't a fiver for you. :(

Catherine Thanks, Laurie. I did enjoy it and plan to read the next one, it just didn't hit me like it did most of you guys. Oh well, can't win them all. :)

Laura the Highland Hussy :D although your'e right about her having just a random guy hanging out at her job all day...unless you work at the mall, I don't think that's allowed

Catherine LOL! It struck me as really odd.

Laura the Highland Hussy I guess I never really thought about it. I remember working at the mall and having my friends hang out all day like mall rats, and even I got in trouble after a while, y'know?

Catherine I've never had friends hang out with me at work other than visiting on my lunch or break. Maybe that's why it caught my eye.

Laura the Highland Hussy well, a professional job shouldn't allow it, so you're totally right