El's Reviews > Reflections in a Golden Eye

Reflections in a Golden Eye by Carson McCullers

Dec 08, 10

bookshelves: 20th-centurylit-early
Read from December 07 to 08, 2010

I loved The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter and The Member of the Wedding. I love McCullers's minimalist writing style.

I did not love Reflections in a Golden Eye.

It seems like a good story - a true love-triangle. (Or love-square? Maybe love-trapezoid.) Taking place on an Army base in the American South we have Captain Penderton and his wife, Leonora, and Major Langdon, his sickly wife, Alison, and their houseboy, Anacleto. Then there's Private Williams who once saw Leonora nekkid and has become a bit obsessed with her. Turns out that Captain Penderton has a bit of a crush of his own, but not any of the obvious choices.

For some reason the story never quite gelled for me. I kept waiting for the story to actually begin. It felt that it was all preparation, all a very long introduction to basically very little. I did, however, like the Afterword by Tennessee Williams. Strangely this is all I have to say about this book.

This is the worst review ever. I think I'm broken. Thank you.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reflections in a Golden Eye.

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer D Does Captain Penderton have a crush on Ancleto?? Damn. Now I have to read the story to find out. And you were meh about it. Double damn!

message 2: by Dolors (last edited Oct 13, 2014 05:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dolors I have to watch the movie but I was quite taken (and deeply unsettled by creepy private William lurking in the shadows) with the storyline. I agree the result wasn't as powerful as "The heart of a lonely hunter" but the eccentric characters in this novella kept me up till the late hours and that seldom happens to me! :)