Jennifer's Reviews > What I Thought I Knew: A Memoir

What I Thought I Knew by Alice Eve Cohen

Dec 07, 2010

bookshelves: memoir-non-fiction, read-in-2010, received-for-review, received-in-2010, virtual-book-tour
Read from December 07 to 08, 2010

My Synopsis:

In this startlingly candid memoir, Alice Even Cohen shares her personal journey as a 44 year old "infertile" pregnant woman. From the medical professionals who couldn't figure out what was wrong with her (she was SIX MONTHS into her pregnancy before it was finally discovered that she was pregnant!), to her emotional struggle of whether or not she wanted to have the baby, Ms. Cohen's memoir is deeply touching and fast-paced.

My Thoughts:

I loved this memoir. I am completely shocked and downright appalled at the medical professionals who failed Ms. Cohen. To read her journey and all the doctors she saw and the tests she went through and no one figured out she was pregnant - it's absolutely unbelievable to me! The circumstances she had to endure and the conversations she had to have during her "medical mystery" and after her diagnosis will make you cringe and cry.

I can relate to Alice in many ways, being an infertile woman myself. I can't imagine being set in your life and accepting of your situation, in your mid forties and BAM, suddenly you are pregnant. What a shocking situation it must have been for her! I don't want to examine her thoughts and feelings about the situation because none of us know how we will react when faced with the same circumstances. All I will say is that Ms. Cohen is a brave woman who fought through a very difficult time the best way she knew how and I commend her for that.

This memoir is very well-written and short at less than 200 pages so I blew through it in two sittings. Ms. Cohen has a way of capturing the reader's attention at every turn of the page until you know the outcome of her story. I couldn't put the book down.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Thought I Knew.

message 1: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Great review, Jennifer! I'll have to check this book out.

Jennifer Yeah, it's great. I loved it!