~Sara~'s Reviews > The Girl Who Played with Fire

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

Dec 07, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: general-fiction, mystery-thriller, my-e-books, my-paper-books
Read from December 07, 2010 to March 19, 2012

As much as I'm enjoying this book there are many frustrating contradictions or questionable parts to the plot that jar me out of the story breaking up the flow. The most recent, and reason for reviewing a book I'm only 80% finished, is with the ineptness of the police investigation. I don't know if maybe I've watched too many t.v. crime solving shows but, thanks to C.S.I. et al, I was reading along and (finally) completely focused on the story (again) when something that seemed so completely implausible made me question the story to the point where I could no longer concentrate on what I was reading and, after rereading the same sentence several times, I had to put down the book to rant a little. I have, in my opinion, generously ignored several other glaring atrocities in the police "investigation" before this point but this one took the cake! (view spoiler) Maybe my understanding of the whole matter is completely flawed and skewed by shows that have to wrap up baffling cases in under an hour but I just don't get it!
The crux of the matter is a book that can have you at the edge of your seat on the verge of biting your nails one minute, then on your computer ranting to no one in particular while it sits, ignored, right beside you in the middle of its build up to a thrilling climax the next, has seriously failed in it's intended purpose and leaves me feeling more than a little disappointed and a lot less than thrilled! I've overlooked the authors need to fluff up the book with what appears to be inconsequential minutiae (the same failing that made the first half of book one a bit of a trial to get through) and the lack of any real development in most of the secondary characters despite the authors love for detail, but this, along with the other deficiencies in the investigation, (view spoiler) have taken this book from a phenomenal 5 star read to a still good but not as good as it should have been 3 or 4 stars to be determined by the remaining 20%. Please redeem yourself with the ending!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Played with Fire.

03/18/2012 page 574