Crystal's Reviews > Helping Me Help Myself: One Skeptic, Ten Self-Help Gurus, and a Year on the Brink of the Comfort Zone

Helping Me Help Myself by Beth Lisick

1205565
Dec 12, 10

Read from December 07 to 12, 2010

I picked up this book because, as a therapist, of course I have read several self-help books, and am a big believer in them (although I know there is crap out there too!). Anyways, the author spent a year trying to turn her life around by using self-help information, and wrote a book about it.
Lisick is funny and has some good lines, and some of the adventures are good. However, I had a really hard time not judging her constant complaints about having no money, yet spending thousands of dollars to travel to conventions to see famous self-help gurus speak. I also thought it was incredibly lame that two of her months involved 1 page blurbs about her figuring things out on her own. What?
The best parts of the book were hearing her rip on John Gray, and talk about her cruise with Richard Simmons, who seems like a pretty good guy. Overall, I say skip it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Helping Me Help Myself.