Mandy Roth's Reviews > Whirligig

Whirligig by Paul Fleischman

F 50x66
Dec 07, 10

Teen drama/post modern/ redemption, forgiveness

Brent Bishop is 16 and he's on a mission to create four whirligigs and place one in each corner of the United States. The mission isn't really self directed however, it begins as part of a request from the mother of the girl he accidentally killed while driving drunk and attempting to take his own life. The art pieces are to be dedicated in the girls memory and being joy to those around it. Brent begins this task feeling like a murderer and scum of the earth, however he begins to slowly rediscover himself as well as forgive. Additionally, effects of the whirligigs are seen around the country with different people's stories.

I loved this book. I can't even say exactly why, but I loved it. I found it to be one of the most profound and impacting books on me that we've read this semester. Brent's journey as well as the growing of the other characters in the short snips of their lives. This book touches on so many different young adult issues that everyone, even not so young adult can relate and learn the true miracle of repentance and forgiveness.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whirligig.