Mindy's Reviews > The Insider

The Insider by Reece Hirsch

Dec 07, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads

I received this book in a giveaway and have finally had the time to actually review it. Sorry it took so long! I finished a long list of books and thought I'd do a review for this one first.

It completely deserves praise. It's a short, quick-paced read. As a debut novel, it's very compelling and I am so glad that it isn't completely cliche or predictable. Just like any thriller, there's one major twist. Although, I can usually predict it, and this one took me by surprise. My only qualms is with the main character, whose actions and reactions in the beginning seemed rather disconnected and unrealistic to me. It was something I noticed sometimes throughout the novel, but didn't take away as much as I would've expected it to. Hence, four stars. But for a first novel, definitely worth the read!

And I just have to say, I wasn't sure about reading it at first. I tend to stick to serial killer novels and stuff simply because I can understand the words and when it comes to legal stuff... Well, there's a reason why I want to study medicine and not law. But I didn't feel like I wanted to knock myself out for being clueless and stupid. Hirsch did a really nice job lightly injecting the legalities, which is another uniqueness about it that I loved.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Insider.