Lora's Reviews > Linger

4632071
Jul 28, 11

bookshelves: g-ya-paranorm, favorites, series-still-follow
Read in July, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

In the second installment to the Wolves of Mercy Falls series: Sam is having trouble believing in his cure, Grace is acting strangely and feeling like she doesn't fit into her own skin anymore, and a new wolf is in Mercy Falls: Cole, the once lead singer of a popular rock band, NARKOTIKA, is dealing with the issues of straddling the line between man and wolf. But honestly? He'd rather stay a wolf than deal with the problems that come with being human.
Meanwhile, Isabel, the girl who had to deal with losing her brother twice, believes she is falling for Cole.

Maggie has said in interviews that she meant for Cole's character to be the complete opposite of Sam's. Well, in the beginning of Linger she succeeded and because of that I wasn't able to empathize with Cole upon first reading Linger. For personal reasons I've never been empathetic with drug addicts, and Cole was no exception.
In Linger Cole tells Sam that he is just as bad as him, just as damaged. He is referring to Sam's issue with bathtubs. But the difference between Sam's problem and Cole's is that Sam had something terrible done to him by his own parents, whereas all of Cole's problems have been brought on by himself.
Despite all of this, though, I truly liked Cole a lot more this time around than my first time reading Linger. For me, the best thing about Cole is that he's very redeemable. And if you look carefully enough, he has what I call "bright spots" where you can see that he is human – even though he doesn't want to be – and that he does care for others, even if it is an imperceptible degree. And the reactions and emotions Cole has towards the end of Linger give me hope that I'll like him even more in Forever.

Linger is quite different than its predecessor, Shiver – what with Sam now being human and the introduction of a new character, Cole. Plus, Isabel steps out of her former role as side character and into the forefront with her own POV – and what an interesting POV it is. Some may not like Isabel, and I can understand why, but I like her just fine. She's kind of . . . unconventional – especially when compared to Grace – but she's not bad. One thing is for sure: Isabel's definitely the perfect match for Cole.
And then there's that pesky wolf smell wafting off of Grace – that can't be a good sign. You see, lots of things are different in Linger, which is probably why so many don't like it as much as they did Shiver. I will admit to liking it a minuscule degree less than Shiver, but that certainly didn't hinder me from enjoying it. In fact, I believe I enjoyed it even more the second time around. And Linger's ending is just as sad if not more so than Shiver's.

And besides – if you ever see me give a book with Sam Roth in it anything less than five stars, know that it is a clone and the real Lora has been taken by aliens.

FAVORITE QUOTES: "I'm trying to remember who I was before I couldn't stand myself." – Cole

"I wasn't sure if I admired him for feeling everything so hard and fiercely, or if I was contemptuous of him for having so much emotion that he had to spill it out every window of the house." – Isabel

"I was suddenly overwhelmed by what an incredible person this boy was, standing in front of me, and by the fact that he was mine and I was his." – Grace

"I wanted to take her hand and lead her upstairs to my bedroom and whisper, Stay. Just stay." – Sam

____________________________________________________

My reviews of other titles in this series:

Shiver

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Linger.

07/10/2011
32.0% "I was a paper boat drifting in a massive night ocean."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Arlene Great insight into Cole. I guess I just like him by default... meaning hot messes seem to get my sympathy without really earning it. LOL So glad you loved this one. :)

message 2: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Awesome review Lora!

Lora Thanks, ladies:)

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim As cheesy as this may sound, I really do cherish these books. My copies of them still smell like the store I bought them from – that's how well I've taken care of them.

So sweet :) Loved the review.

Lora Aww, thanks, Kim :)

Milly Sweet review Lora! You sound smitten with Sam. :) Cole's definitely an interesting character and I agree, a good match for Isabel. Did you purchase Forever? I'm still on the waiting list at the lib and what a looping list indeed!

Lora I am smitten with Sam. I haven't been able to get a copy of Forever yet:( And my lib hasn't ordered it yet, either.