Lora's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

4632071
Jul 12, 11

bookshelves: g-ya-paranorm, favorites, series-still-follow, quality-ya-fic
Read in July, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

When I made the decision to reread Shiver and its successor, Linger, in preparation for this trilogy's conclusion, Forever, I honestly got little butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it.
I originally read Shiver back in October of '09, and it hit me like nothing had before — and nothing has matched it since. Shiver mixes some of the sweetest, most realistic and heartwarming characters with a wonderfully chilly and melancholy atmosphere and it is written with stunningly lyrical prose. If every author wrote like Stiefvater, I dare say I'd get nothing else done save for reading.

What is there to say about Grace? I feel like if I call her strong it will seem unoriginal, but that is just what she is; there is really no other way to describe Grace. She holds it together even when Sam is emotionally in shambles. Even when hope seems as far away as ten light-years, she keeps her wits about her. I can't help but love Grace any more than Sam can.

And there really is no other male character quite like Sam Roth; he is one of a kind. No other boy would turn away out of respect when a girl is scantily clad; no other boy would unabashedly sing to the mother of said girl; no other boy would treat a girl with as much respect as Sam shows for Grace.
As I said, Sam is one of a kind. And he's definitely my kind of guy, if you know what I mean. (Oh! how I wish there were boys/men/male specimens like him in real life! But if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride. *sigh*)

Moving on . . .

Just as with anything that is popular, not all people will enjoy Shiver. I think some people read the synopsis and expect a werewolf blockbuster — but that isn't what Shiver is; at its core, Shiver is a love story. The meat of the plot is simply Sam and Grace constantly fighting this physical transformation that is hell-bent on keeping them apart and stealing Sam's humanity.
The only complexity in Shiver is the mystery behind what makes the humans turn into wolves - Stiefvater leaves the old-fashioned lore to the dogs and creates her own mythology — I, personally, have never read any "werewolf" story like Stiefvater's, and that's a large portion of why I love this series so much. Rather than

you get

In the old days werewolves were men that were forever ruining their clothes and having to buy new ones — and all because of that blasted full moon. Stiefvater reimagines what makes these bitten but, in truth, innocent humans change form. And, to top that off, they don't get to keep changing. Eventually, they will stay in their wolf forms for the rest of their lives, thereby unwillingly having to give up their human life, loves, and wishes — forever. By writing it this way, Stiefvater has taken what was once a horror story and made it something beautiful and sad. And this reader can't help but love that.

This review would simply be too long if I added all of my favorite quotes (although you can read them all below), but if I had to choose just one it would be this:

FAVORITE QUOTE:
"I fell for her in summer, my lovely summer girl
From summer she is made, my lovely summer girl
I'd love to spend a winter with my lovely summer girl
But I'm never warm enough for my lovely summer girl

It's summer when she smiles, I'm laughing like a child
It's the summer of our lives; we'll contain it for a while
She holds the heat, the breeze of summer in the circle of
her hand
I'd be happy with this summer if it's all we ever had.

Between reading this and watching Becoming Jane the other night, my tear ducts are like dried sponges. And since I'll be reading Linger and Forever next, I felt that I should prepare myself; I had this sent to my house yesterday:

Never let it be said that I was unprepared in life.

I hear people say things about their favorites like, I've read this so many times I know all of the lines by heart. But I don't ever want it to be that way for me and this book; it is such a special read that I never want to read it and feel as if I've gotten all I can out of it. I want to start Shiver each time with the sense that it is both new and old to me, but always a favorite.

___________________________________________

My reviews of other titles in this series:

Linger

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

Quotes Lora Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“You're beautiful and sad," I said finally, not looking at him when I did. "Just like your eyes. You're like a song that I heard when I was a little kid but forgot I knew until I heard it again." For a long moment there was only the whirring sound of the tires on the road, and then Sam said softly, "Thank you.”
Maggie Stiefvater, Shiver

07/01/2011 page 0
0.0% "Rereading this - followed by Linger - in prep for Forever. :)" 14 comments
07/01/2011
17.0% ""Sam reached his hand toward mine, and I automatically put my fingers in his. With a quilty little smile, he pulled my hand toward his nose and took a sniff, and then another one. His smile widened, though it was still shy. It was absolutely adorable, and my breath got caught somewhere in my throat. --- *happy sigh*"
07/05/2011
57.0% "Savoring it . . ."

Sarah M Great review Lora! I want to read this but my sister didnt like it. So everytime I go to choose a book I always say Ehh I'll pick this up next time. Which I never seem to do!
Might have to read it sooner after reading your review tho!

Lora Try it, Sarah! You might like it. *crosses fingers*

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) If every author wrote like Stiefvater, I dare say I'd get nothing else done save for reading.

My favorite review of Shiver by far! And that wolf is so beautiful, it made my heart stop for a few seconds.

Lora Maja wrote: " If every author wrote like Stiefvater, I dare say I'd get nothing else done save for reading.

Well, thanks:) I searched for a long time to find just the right wolf pic.

Arlene So I take it, you're going to try and read Forever with us??? :P

Your review is awesome. :)

Lora I HOPE so! I'm starting Linger tonight, so hopefully I'll be able to finish it by Tuesday.

I know I'll be buying Forever first thing Tuesday morning . . . ;P

Lucy I've only read Shiver and Linger once, but I wish I followed your lead and read them again. Hope I'm not too lost when I start Forever this week.
Awesome review and I love the quotes you chose!

Lora Thanks, Lucy! Yeah, I figured I should refresh my memory.

Milly Loved this book! Definitely worth a second read and more!

Michelle I adore THE WOLVES OF MERCY FALLS series. So original and beautifully written.

message 11: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora I agree, Michelle.

Michelle (and that Kleenex truck? Priceless. I was blubbering my way through FOREVER on an AIRPLANE. So embarrassing.)

message 13: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora Michelle wrote: "(and that Kleenex truck? Priceless. I was blubbering my way through FOREVER on an AIRPLANE. So embarrassing.)"

LOL I need to finish rereading Linger before I can read Forever. I'm excited for it, though.

Milly Lora wrote: "Michelle wrote: "(and that Kleenex truck? Priceless. I was blubbering my way through FOREVER on an AIRPLANE. So embarrassing.)"

LOL I need to finish rereading Linger before I can read Forever. I'm..."

I liked Shiver more than I liked Linger. Hope you like it!

Jody I loved it too...such a gorgeous couple, cant get enough of them. Im so glad I have given wolfs a go...think I will be obsessed now....wish I had my own wolf boy lol

message 16: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara abu i liked it too...

message 17: by Caro (new) - rated it 3 stars

Caro Basurto Beautiful REVIEW Lora(:
I know Shiver is unique and it's and amazing book, I cried so many times...
SUMMER GIRL(:
It´s so amazing... did you hear the song?!
well.. here is a cover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsbc2k... (that is so fantastic and beautiful) HEY THAT guy looks like Samn..

message 18: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora S.s wrote: "I will be honest, I really didnt like this book but it is nice to see a different opinion, I read your review and see what you like about the book, although I wanted to ask, did you like maggies wr..."

Yes, I did. I mention it in my review.

. . . it is written with stunningly lyrical prose. If every author wrote like Stiefvater, I dare say I'd get nothing else done save for reading.

Thanks for commenting.

Lindsey I am in love with this book & Sam Roth! I love rereading it sooo much. Your review did the book much more justice than mine, I'll have to go back and edit. I dont even know how to express how much I love this book, I mean just check out my picture!

message 20: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna I love this series for much of the same reasons! Stiefvater's poetic voice strikes me every time.

message 21: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine A. If you think THOSE three books were great, you should read Sinner. It's Cole and Isabel's story after the end of Forever didn't really tie up that particular loose end. It's a stunning novel- in my opinion, it was the best book in the whole series.