E.'s Reviews > India Black

India Black by Carol K. Carr

Dec 14, 10

Read from December 07 to 14, 2010

India Black is certainly not your typical heroine, and thank goodness for that. She is full of fire and spit, and well-capable of keeping up with French in this, what appears to be the first book of their espionage adventures. (Is book two out yet? I just wanted to keep adventuring with them by the time I reached the end of this one.)

What amazes most about this debut novel is the voice of its heroine. Told in the first person, there will likely be no middle ground for readers–they will either love India or hate her. I loved her, and so too her relationship with the mysterious French. I look forward to that relationship playing out.

This book reads less like a mystery to me than a straight-up Victorian adventure, so if you might shy away because it’s labeled as a mystery, you might want to reconsider. If you like the Victorian era, a sometimes-snarky narrator, and plenty of madcap adventures, this may well be the book for you.

I think this book solidifies my own affection for the Victorian era. I find myself feeling most at home there. This book reminded me somewhat of Gail Carriger’s Parasol Protectorate books, minus the steampunk frills.

The cover? Gorgeous. Alan Ayers sets India in scarlet and onyx against the gloom of Victorian London, though curiously the image posted with this review differs from the book I have in hand. The book I received doesn’t feature India’s entire face; only a smidge of nose and the slant of her smile are revealed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read India Black.