Danielle's Reviews > Night School

Night School by Mari Mancusi

Dec 30, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own, for-review, ya-series, youngadult
Read from December 07 to 12, 2010

Rayne lives in a world of vampires, vampire slayers, faeries and so much more. In her recent past she’s undergone her own transformation from average teenage girl to vampire/vampire hunter and now she’s learned that she herself is the heir to a powerful faerie kingdom. To escape the likelihood of capture and “deportation” to “fairyland” her parents decide that it’s best for both her and her twin sister, Sunny (yes, Rayne and Sunshine), to stow away at Riverdale Academy, a vampire slaying school. Unfortunately, they don’t happen to know that Rayne is a vampire herself and this could definitely cause some potential hazardous situations, not to mention that her sister has started to act a bit strange in the process. All of this leads to the discovery of some very interesting behavior at Riverdale Academy as well as an ending that will leave you questioning whether Disneyland truly is “the happiest place on earth.”

This was a complete and total escape read. From page one I was left wondering whether I was reading Night School or watching one of those comedy mash-up movies where they make fun of every recent big hit out there. Not only did the story mention books like Twilight and the True Blood series, but Disneyland and every character you can imagine, even Tinkerbell. To an extent it was quite funny, but I’d have to admit at some points I was really hoping it would get into the “meat” of the story. Also, at points I found myself shaking my head thinking, “could there really be one more thing?” because of all the circumstances revolving around Rayne’s supernatural existence. All in all though, it was pretty hilarious and I found myself chuckling on nearly each page turn.

As for the story, so many parts of it were completely original. I was shocked to see how the “night school” was incorporated into the story without it having been the ongoing theme throughout the series. In addition the faerie kingdom itself, though mimicking a commonly known place was still completely different from anything else I’ve read before. Each of the characters, Rayne especially were original and even first time readers of the series will find themselves connected with them immediately.

Overall, Night School was an incredibly fun read. I’d highly recommend it for readers who like quite a bit of laughter mixed in with their reading experience. Especially fans of comedy mash-ups and pop-culture will be quite pleased. In addition to that the characters were real and easy to relate to, even for first time readers of the series. An original story with an extremely quirky and hilarious backdrop, Mari Mancusi’s latest installment of her Blood Coven series is sure to please paranormal fans and leave them eagerly anticipating the next in the series.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night School.

12/12/2010 page 73
28.52% "If I get one more pop culture reference I may have to gouge out my eyes. We'll see how this ends up...I may be blind by the time I'm done reading this one."