Beth Anne's Reviews > The Imperfectionists

Dec 28, 10

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: everyone.
Read from December 27 to 28, 2010

this is a book that makes me happy to read books. from the first sentence, i could tell that it was going to be a captivating and enjoyable novel.

told in 11 chapters, each titled by a news headline, character's name and job's more like 11 interwoven short stories telling the rise and fall of an English newspaper in Rome. it's mostly about the employees at an English newspaper in Rome... characters that capture your interest and your heart...stories that make you laugh out loud, and stories that make you want to cry for the characters in them.

my favorite character was Craig Menzies...the editor...who is just so real and sad and worthy of both my sympathy and my adoration.

but i also really loved Abbey Pinnola's story...also kind of tragic in it's ending.

but honestly, every single character was notable, extremely well written and made their way into my heart.

the weaving of each story into the a character from the beginning of the book will show up intermittently throughout other's genius. perhaps in the hands of another author this type of book would have been a mess..but i now how huge expectations for Tom Rachman, as this is probably one of the best novels i've read in years.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Imperfectionists.