Wendy's Reviews > Hiroshima in the Morning

Hiroshima in the Morning by Rahna Reiko Rizzuto

Jul 18, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, non-fiction, gave-up-reading-and-skimmed, life-stories
Read in July, 2011

From the description, I expected this book to be more about Hiroshima survivors and how the events of 9-11 brought their own tragedy into sharper focus. Really, this book is all about the author Reiko and her experiences in Japan, interviewing these survivors while her husband and two small boys are left in New York missing her and (understandably, in my view) resenting that she doesn't miss them.

The words of the survivors are edited down to brief paragraphs that are the most moving parts of the book. But I just couldn't get involved in Reiko's personal journey and got really tired of hearing about it. Some have said there's a gender bias here, but honestly I wouldn't have enjoyed the story if it were reversed to a father leaving his wife and kids behind and realizing that he wanted a life unencumbered by them.

One of those annoying memoirs where someone got paid to go do research for a book but then could only put together something completely self-absorbed at the end of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hiroshima in the Morning.