Rosa's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

1913711
Dec 09, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, boy-reads, printz-award-honor, young-adult
Read from December 07 to 08, 2010

** spoiler alert ** When I read a book I tuck my book mark into the back of the book. I was maybe 6 pages into the book and my book mark slides out. I flip to the back of the book to get it in more firmly and I see a discussion question "Did Alaska have to die?" and I was kind of livid. Now I knew that Alaska will die, making it very easy to figure out what before and after meant.

However I still really liked the book. I loved all of the characters. They were all funny, quirky kids and I thought they had pretty realistic voices as far as teenagers go, and there were a few things that they did that kind of reminded me of how people I knew in high school were.

I thought it was a big jump for the Colonol and Pudge to assume it may have been suicide based on the quote "straight and fast" from her book, but I did understand their need to find out what happened, and how much they should consider themselves responsible for what happened. I am sorry that Lara was completely cut out of a lot of the end. I really liked her and Pudge should have treated her better (which of course he knew.) I thought it was a good book that brings a lot of attention to a big issue (drunk driving) without it feeling like an issue book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.