Zachariah W.'s Reviews > The Scorch Trials

Mrs. Romaniuk
12/7/10
The Scorch Trials:
Try Not to get Burned
You survived round one. Now get ready for round two. In The Scorch Trails, James Dashner’s second book in the Maze Runner series, he depicts the Gladers struggle for survival. This time, they are infected with a deadly virus, and have to travel one hundred miles to get the cure. There are no rules those who die, die. Those who survive… The stakes are high, and the nerves are at their end. With Teresa gone, and someone else to take her place, nobody can guess what will happen next. This book is a great example that when people feel threatened, they will protect themselves and their friends by any and all means possible, this is shown when the Gladers leave Tom, when Thomas runs from Teresa, and when Thomas and Brenda kill the crank.
When people feel threatened, they will protect themselves and their friends by any and all means possible, this is shown when the Gladers leave Tom behind. As they are making their way across the scorched and wasted land towards the city, the Gladers run into a lightning storm. Just a bunch of lights and a couple claps of thunder, no big deal, right? Wrong. This isn’t just your typical rainy day lightning. This is strike-the-ground-directly-in-front-of-you lightning. Or sometimes nit’s strike-the-ground-directly-were-you-are lightning. Please try not to get hit. However, try as they might, one of the Gladers does get hit. It isn’t pretty, but here’s what happened “Blood that looked like black tar gushed from the wound […] injuries spread across his whole body. He had no hair. And it looked like his eyeballs had…”(135) It is evident from this quote that the Gladers couldn’t stop to save Tom. Even so, to leave a human being who is still alive with those injuries is barbaric. Therefore, this is an example of the books theme.
When people feel threatened, they will use any and all means to protect themselves and their friends, this is shown when Thomas has to run from Teresa. Before the lightning storm, the Gladers come across a building. Almost like an apparition, they see a girl emerge from it. Thomas almost immediately knows that it’s Teresa. He bolts after her, and soon arrives at the building. As they are in there alone, he realizes that she is acting almost as though she is being controlled. When she tells him to run away, it seems to be almost an impossible effort. He, sensing that something is wrong, runs away, and tells everybody that they have to run as far away as possible, so as to escape whatever Teresa had warned him about. As this quote says, “Told them that they had to go, run, get away as fast as possible. That he’d explain later. That their lives were in danger”(118). From this quote, one can tell that Thomas doesn’t take Teresa’s advice lightly. He also made a huge sacrifice. He hadn’t seen Teresa since she’d been taken by WIKED. Also, because of her warning them, he felt that she would be punished. Therefore, his suffering was twofold.
When people feel threatened, they will use any and all means to save themselves and their friends, this is shown when Thomas and Brenda kill the Crank. When Thomas and Brenda get separated from the rest of the group, they go through the underground. This series of tunnels are home to insane people called Cranks. As careful as they are, they are caught by a long past gone Crank who is missing his nose. In a situation like this, the only option is to kill, or be killed. Before this, Thomas had never killed anyone before, and it’s very difficult for him, as it says in the story, “The terrible inhuman screams. […] Thomas used all his strength and plunged the knife into the Crank’s chest” From this quote, one can infer that Thomas was extremely reluctant to kill the Crank, but he had no choice. Thus, this is an excellent example of the book’s theme.
This book is a great example that when people feel threatened, they will protect themselves and their friends by any and all means possible, this is shown when the Gladers leave Tom, when Thomas runs from Teresa, and when Thomas and Brenda kill the crank. Things like these are things that most people can never compare something that they did in their lives and say ‘oh yeah, I’ve done that’. These are too horrible for many people (including myself) to even imagining them happening to themselves. Humans are vicious creatures. If it will give you a greater chance of survival, many would kill their best friend. In world war one, if a bomb crater was occupied, and another person tried to get in, it didn’t matter what side you were on, they would fight to the death for a small shelter.

I think I deserve a B+. I spent about three hours on this project. One thing that was easy was that I had a very good book; examples of my thesis were very easy to come by. However, that being said, finding a personal connection for this was very difficult. If I had more time, I would think up a better personal connection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorch Trials.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah C. (new) - added it

Hannah C. Wow. This book sounds super intense!!!! You did a really good job explaining your thesis and the quotes were well chosen. I think sometimes it can be hard to summarize this kind of book, but you did it really well. I especially liked the part when you wrote "There are no rules those who die, die. Those who survive... ". It seems really suspenseful and made me want to keep reading. I am definitely going to read this book. It seems similar to The Hunger Games, but I've heard that this is better. Maybe it'll be as good as Harry Potter. Maybe.