Ian Sandusky's Reviews > Full Dark, No Stars

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

Dec 07, 10

FULL DARK NO STARS.

Man, what a book. What can be said for it? Well, a lot.

A collection of four unrelated (plot-wise) short stories, they focus mainly on revenge, and matters of that nature. The tales themselves are interesting, very King-ish in every way - well thought-out, comical in their own right, a nice touch of chill, and a critical examination of the human psyche - damaged, or otherwise.

Now, I have to say, upon reading this novel before reaching the afterword, I found myself slightly disappointed. I found that many of the stories lacked the critical 'twist,' detailing more the reaction of someone to a bad situation (sometimes of their own making) rather than a true intricate tale. I found myself waiting for twists that didn't come, or shimmers of the usual SK horror that just didn't deliver.

I finished the last story, a little taken aback. This was an expensive book, and one I had waited a long time to read. I'm a long time King-fan, and this was supposed to cure my craving for at least a short while.

However, and there's always a however.

Upon reading the afterword, my entire opinion on the collection was given a drastic 180. King doesn't usually explain himself or his writing in the novels themselves, usually choosing to detail his thought processes either in other works, or in interviews. In FULL DARK, NO STARS - he does. He gives a clear statement of his intention with the collection, and the aim he sought out to achieve in writing it. This make the whole book that much more interesting to me - the stories being variations on a theme, rather than a bunch of similar tales.

In any case, a 5/5 read any King fan should heartily enjoy.

Just read the afterword once you've finished.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Dark, No Stars.