AmandaLil's Reviews > Tidings of Great Joy

232060
Dec 20, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, 2010, fiction
Read from December 19 to 20, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This was a Goodreads giveaway win for me, thank you for my copy!

I'll start with a positive comment and say the plot was good for the majority of the book and I liked the romantic tension between the characters. Aside from that I wasn't very impressed with this book. It was written in the '80's so I'll try to get past that (shoulder pads, sequins, and tight acid wash jeans on the men, eww). It wasn't very well written in my opinion, much of the dialogue was cheesy and unconvincing. My biggest problem with it (several other people seemed to feel this way as well) was the ending. The fact that they adopted a child didn't bother me so much as the way it was done. I could picture them coming to that decision especially after the conversations on her background, but not as a sudden surprise which she had no say in. Finally telling her he loved her would be a satisfying ending. Telling her you love her as you surprise her with a child you were able to adopt in a day to give it a "test run" because she just had a miscarriage, not so much. That pretty much killed any enjoyment I was getting from the book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tidings of Great Joy.