Precious's Reviews > Deadly

3192508
Dec 21, 10

Read in December, 2010

See full review here.

Deadly was not how I expected it to be. First and foremost, I read it fast. In a day and a half – and I was in school in these days, reviewing for exams. Second, it was engrossing. The narrative of Prudence a curious mind seeking answers in a world full of questions, in a historical fiction like Deadly, I appreciated this. We always strive to know more, to discover and to have our questions answered.

Deadly follows the story of Prudence, a Jewish girl who lives in the US. The death of her brother and the disappearance of her father are mysteries to her. These two unfortunate events left silence and emptiness in her house. The concept of death struck her as something so mysterious and tragic that falls upon everyone. She wanted to find out why death happens.

Deadly was written diary-style with brief but detailed entries and drawings from time to time. It was a reflection of a child-like mind, musing and questioning life, and at the same time it was a reflection of a simple teenager going through the stage of adolescence, encountering people and problems. Prudence was so reserved, prim and proper, and refined. It was refreshing to encounter another character like her after all the modern characters I have met.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly.

12/12/2010 page 63
21.0% "Like it!"
12/13/2010 page 275
90.0% "Almost done with it!"