Melissa's Reviews > At Home in Mitford

At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon

Jul 16, 08

bookshelves: five-star-plan
Read in July, 2008

This was my first attempt to read a 5 star book from each friend's book list so I hate to give this one star, but it just wasn't my thing. I read about 150 pages, jumped to the very end and put it down. The author jumps from quaint small southern town situation to quaint small southern town situation without delving into the characters. You know what I think my problem is? No one in Mitford has a dark side. Not one person in the whole darn town.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At Home in Mitford.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Okay, Maybe that's why I didn't like it either! I started this and got several chapters in and it just didn't hold my attention. I have always felt like there was something wrong with me because everyone else has always loved this series. Thanks for sharing my opinion!

Melissa Good, there are two of us who don't like it then! :)

message 3: by Verona (new)

Verona Your not alone. I tried to read this book when it first came out because my Mother in law raved about it(she has the whole series), but it just didn't hold my attention and I never finished reading it. There, now I have confessed.

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny I knew I liked the two of you for a reason!

Adrienne It took me 2 weeks to get through the first 2/3 of the book. But then I suddenly was totally into it and couldn't put it down. I think it takes a bit because there isn't a gripping plot to pull you along - it's all about the characters. So you have to get to know and like the characters. I'm not usually one for these kind of books - the only reason I kept going was my mom loves them.

Anyway... give it another try? And you do find out about some bad characters in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th books.

Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002" add me to the list of people have tried to love this book but just can't get into it. Very witty review and I think you're right on the money!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I totally agree. I read for some excitement. Just a little at least.

message 8: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay I can understand what you guys (gals) are saying, but I liked it. I read a lot of intrigue and mystery, but this is the other end of the scale. I don't watch reality shows, because I get enough of my own. This is the same, it's a fantasy village I would love to live in, but it doesn't exist. But sometimes it's nice to dream. I've read the whole series btw.

Barbara I disagree completely. The entire series is a delving into the characters and their relationships. Father Tim's entire life is turned upside down, and we see him almost kicking and fighting to prevent it from happening, and then finding the changes brought him tremendous love and joy. And, if you read the whole series, you will find that everyone has a dark side. But, they are loved despite their flaws.

Ellen It is my recommendation that the Mitford Series be LISTENED to on audio books. Nothing captures all of the characters like the voice of John McDonough. You instantly know which character is talking and you will fall in love with these books.

Katydid I thought it was too slow. I was bored to tears!