James Williams's Reviews > Hogfather

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

Dec 14, 10

Read from December 07 to 12, 2010

I have absolutely nothing to say about this book. But I'm making an effort to write about the books I read. So here it goes.

This is a Discworld book. If you know what that means, then you already know the most important things one could say about Hogfather. If you don't know what the Discworld is? There's a wealth of material about it on the Internet, but suffice it to say that the Discworld is a comedic fantasy realm where magic and gods and minor deities all act in concert to produce the funniest narrative result. Or something like that. I can say for something that the Discworld is disc shaped. Also, there's a giant turtle.

More than just being Yet-Another-Discworld-Novel (of which there are about 40), Hogfather is also a Discworld CHRISTMAS novel. So there's also a Santa Clause analog: the eponymous Hogfather.

Again, that's all you need to know. If you like the Discworld and you don't despise Christmas, you'll like Hofather. If you hate Discworld, you won't like Hogfather. It's the Discworld, after all: silly wizards doing silly magic, Death who speaks in SMALL CAPS, contrived catastrophes that have to be averted in an amusing fashion, etc. It's all there.

I enjoyed it, though there were no laugh-out-loud funny moments in it. It's filled with great characters (Susan is my favorite). It's got a premise that could hold up to an even more serious treatment.

It's a good holiday read, if you're in to that sort of thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hogfather.