Satia's Reviews > Comfort and Joy

Dec 07, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: 2010, borrowed, library-book, unfinished
Read in December, 2010

If I could, I would give this a negative star. The review has some strong language towards the end so click the link if you don't mind a certain word being tossed out. For more:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comfort and Joy.

12/07/2010 page 107
30.0% "The first of four stories is predictable. Predictable is forgivable; boring is not. Too bad the first story was both."
12/10/2010 page 231
66.0% "Two terrible stories. Why will I even bother with the third? Because it has a compelling first sentence. "I didn't look dead.""
12/12/2010 page 375
107.0% "The third story was good but then fell to tiny little pieces of dreadful at the end."
12/12/2010 page 397
83.0% "I found something so racist on this page that I refuse to read further. I cannot believe anyone likes this wretched book."

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Wretched is right.

Satia Cynthia wrote: "Wretched is right."

I really don't understand why I didn't think this "read some holiday books" idea through more clearly. I should have known there would be many books that blur holiday with romance and I hate romance novels so adding Christmas to them wasn't going to convert me into a romance reader.

But I learned something about myself re. the holidays. I prefer my holiday stories to be about family and not just romance. The stories that involve more than just the boy and girl are more fun for me. This includes the holiday movies too.

What I find most intriguing, and something about which I may blog more fully at some point, is that these Christmas novels give a nod to the religious aspects of the season even though I would think it's safe to say that most readers of Christmas novels are going to be sympathetic to Christian ideas. Sometimes the reference to the Bible or Jesus or Christianity even seems like an afterthought, like the author thought that the only way to make the story relevant was to add a quote from the Bible or something.

I have a few more of these books borrowed and I want to finish them off before I make a sweeping generalization that probably isn't true for all of these books because my reading experience is going to be too narrow. But I don't have time to read many more wretched books.

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Who has time for wretched racism? I don't usually enjoy these holiday books. They are usually so sweet they make my teeth hurt.

Have you tried the new genre of Christian fiction? I can't believe how many books there are from this genre at my local library. A lot of them look shallow, judging from their covers.

Satia About 20 years ago I read a few George MacDonald novels because C S Lewis said MacDonald was an inspiration to him in his own writing. Although the books were strongly Christian and typically romance based, I enjoyed reading them. Perhaps it was because they are older and feel almost like historical fiction. But MacDonald didn't give short shrift to his theological beliefs, either, and even his most purely "romance novel" type stories were infused with deeply spiritual lessons that were smoothly woven into the theme of the story itself and not merely tacked on or dropped in.

But no, I've successfully avoided most Christian fiction at my local library, of which I've no doubt there is a plethora given where I live. In fact, I hardly ever enter a library anymore. I have taken to going to the library website and requesting books online then picking them up as they come in. Far more expeditious and I'm less likely to get distracted by interesting books that turn out to be pure nonsense. (Albeit, I request some books that I suspect are pure nonsense in hopes of their being interesting. That hasn't worked out very well for me, truth be told. But over all the requesting books online method has allowed me to focus my choices because, as a book addict par excellence, it doesn't take much for me to come home with a pile of books that have no real bearing on my life or my interests.)

message 5: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia One of the joys of my library is the large "staff suggestions" section. Different library staff recommend their favorite novels, decorating books, photography books, etc. You can pick and choose amongst the staff--you quickly figure out that "Mary" only likes romance novels, while "Patty's" taste is similar to yours.

Satia Oh. Our library doesn't do that but there are people here on goodreads who, unbeknown to them, I follow closely and whose choices often end up on my "neverending to be read" book list. (I used to keep a "to be read" book list on goodreads but it wasn't as manageable for me so now I only use it to track the books I know I am going to read within a certain time frame.)