Lynai's Reviews > Peter Pan

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Dec 22, 10

bookshelves: ebook, favorites, 501-childrens-books
Read from December 09 to 13, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I have to confess that this is the first time I have read the story although Peter Pan, Wendy, Tinkerbell and Hook are fairly familiar to me, due to the movie, Hook, which I got to watch with my siblings back in high school. It was one wonderful family bonding moment the reason why the movie stayed in my memory until now.

Written as a children’s story, Peter Pan the novel tells of the beauty of youth and the wonders of childhood. The mermaids, fairies, and magic indeed play a great part in a child’s life and imagination. As a child, dreams were a big deal to me. Some were pleasant and some were recurring nightmares. And I had also dreamt of flying, like the flying that Wendy and her brothers did, though I had not dreamt of Neverland. Were it not that all children, at some time or another, wish they could fly? In fact, as an adult, I still dream of flying over treetops and oceans and mountains. :D

More than a story about being a child, Peter Pan is also a story about growing up. It tells the difference between what is real and what is a fantasy. More than ever, it tells of the virtue of choice. Wendy chose to grow up, Peter chose to live as a carefree boy.

I especially love the last chapter, “When Wendy Grew Up”. Life in its normal cycle went on for Wendy, who chose to live in reality where she grew up and had a little girl of her own, whom Peter from time to time (if he doesn’t forget!) visited and took with him to Neverland for spring cleaning. And I like how Wendy, all grown up and motherly, still has those moments where she could look back and think, with satisfaction, of what a wonderful childhood she had back then. Didn’t we all wanted to do just like that? To grow up and then look back with fondness at how we had firmly believed in fairies and magic and flying?

My more thorough review at Lynaireads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peter Pan.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

K.D. Absolutely Go, Lynai!
This is a nice book! Hope to see you participating in the discussion soon.

Lynai I hope I can still catch up. I just had the pdf downloaded yesterday. Is it a short read?

K.D. Absolutely Excellent review, Lynai!

Lynai Thanks K.D.! :)

message 5: by Joyzi (new)

Joyzi Love this

Lynai Thanks Joyzi! Do you also dream of flying too? ;)

message 7: by Joyzi (new)

Joyzi maybe idk

K.D. Absolutely I think everyone at some point dream of flying. I used to dream I was flying but I did not have wings but I just floated on the air. A couple of nights back, I dreamed of riding a horse that was jumping so high in each stride we seemed to be flying already.

message 9: by Joyzi (new)

Joyzi I dream I was a zombie last night

message 10: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely That I never dreamt in my entire life.

message 11: by Joyzi (new)

Joyzi lol what have you dream last night?

message 12: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely Nothing. I don't think I dreamed about anything last night.

message 13: by Joyzi (new)

Joyzi you have dreamed something, you probably just forgot about it