Clarissa's Reviews > A Girl Named Disaster

Dec 09, 10

bookshelves: english-420
Read in December, 2010

A Girl Named Disaster African culture/female roles/survival/discovery

Nhamo lives in Mozambique, Africa where modern conveniences like refrigerators and indoor plumbing don't exist. She's only a young girl, fourteen or fifteen years old, but she's been commanded to marry a man older than her father, in order to reconcile a murder she didn't commit. Her family and cultural traditions tell her to take responsibility for her ancestors and marry the man she's been ordered to, but a voice inside her tells her she's destined for something more rewarding. With the sweet plea from her dying grandmother, Nhamo escapes her little Mozambique village and begins a new life full of discovery, danger, and adventure.

It was interesting and valuable for me to read this book because I feel like I've gained a better understanding and appreciation for the African culture. It's amazing what dangers face such young children like, Nhamo --- and it's considered normal. I wasn't even allowed to date at fourteen, let alone marry someone old enough to be my father!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl Named Disaster.