Robert's Reviews > Gilded Latten Bones

Gilded Latten Bones by Glen Cook

Dec 09, 10

bookshelves: trashy-novels

Disclaimer: I love Glen Cook like a child loves his grandfather. The best of his work is easily the same caliber as Howard, Tolkien, and Leiber. So my feelings were deeply hurt when grandfather Cook pulled down my pants to molest me.

I am a huge fan of the Garret series, so I am sorry, but, this book is plain bad. For the vast majority of the book the characters sit around at Garret's house not doing much. They are passive and out-of-character. It's sometimes difficult to tell who is talking. Garret is obsessed with telling you he used the chamber pot in the middle of the night. A Morley and Garret revenge tale builds up only to fall flat on its face. The plot is revealed in the last few pages in a "ah-ha!" moment that is a non sequitor. By the time you get there, you've stopped caring long ago.

I know every work a writer crafts can't be his best. But Mr. Cook's editors and publishers have done his legacy a serious disservice by letting this pass. They knew his name would sell so instead of pushing him to perform (or at least be lean and mean in plot and prose) they just said fuck it and published it. I'll forgive you Grandpa Cook, but don't touch me there again.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gilded Latten Bones.