Ashley Gooding's Reviews > A Christmas Carol

Author: Charles Dickens
Characters: 5 out of 5
Plot: 3 out of 5
Overall: 3 out of 5

Description: I think we all know what a Christmas Carol is about. =) I read the unabridged, original version.

From My Point of View: I assumed since this book was a classic, that meant it was also a good book all the way around -- I guess I shouldn't make such assumptions. I was actually really disappointed with this book. I've seen quite a few different versions of the movie and loved all of them, but I felt the book was nothing like those movies. My biggest complaint was the description. There were parts when I felt Dickens was never going to stop describing the scene. It was irritating and I felt it took away from the story.

There were things I like about this book though, the biggest being Scrooge's character. In the movies, I always saw him as hard and mean, which he obviously was, but in the book I could see the transformation he made. It felt more complete to me than in the movies.

Overall, this was an alright read. I definitely think everyone needs to read this book at least once. It is a Christmas classic after all. =)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Christmas Carol.

12/06/2010 page 22