Babs's Reviews > Monster Heart

Dec 06, 10

bookshelves: arc-asked-to-review, fiction, young-adult
Recommended for: Young Adult Fiction
Read from December 03 to 05, 2010, read count: 1

This is the story about a High School football star that turns to drugs to enhance his game. He experiments with steroids and other mind altering drugs. He loses his High School sweetheart, to drugs and alcohol. Francis mixed any drugs that he can get his hands on; risking his mental and physical health. He became delusional and he can't distinguish what is real or part of his drug induced illusions. He's involved in hanous crimes that he has trouble remembering. Pimples, cyst, cuts, and dark circles under his eyes, make him look like the monster that the drugs have created. The terrible reality is that this story is happening to today's youth. The Monster lurks nearby. Don't let it get your children!

My 2 cents:

This tale is about Francis Norman Stein AKA Frank N Stein, who starts taking steroids to help his performance as a football player. Things start to change when he wants to take everyone kind of drug that is out in the world. He losses everything along the way and is not a happy read, but much more. It is very informative for parents rather the kids play sports or not. This could happen to any child. The author does a great job enlightening the parents and kids of what is really going on in world today. After reading the story I have my 13 year old currently reading it with my supervision so I can chat along with him more about this situation. This is a good book to help you get started if you have not had the talk with your kids. They can see what effects can happen when you make the wrong choice. It could help save one of their friends or even a neighbor. It is well worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster Heart.