Kereesa's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House

The Sandman, Vol. 2 by Neil Gaiman

Nov 10, 2011

bookshelves: graphic-novels, fantasy-all-others, gods-and-goddesses, own, 2011, favorites, cuddle-plus, the-real-5ers, fangirling, own-softcovers, own-graphic-novels
Recommended for: Everyone 18+
Read on October 09, 2011 — I own a copy

In this second volume to the wonderful Sandman series, Gaimen introduces us to a whole new line of players in Morpheus's world. First we have a host of dreams who've escaped Sandman's authority and are having a little too much fun in the mortal world. Secondly, we have a newcomer named Rose Walker, searching for her long lost brother, and getting a little too involved in Morpheus's kingdom as well. As these two seemingly separate stories start to intertwine, Rose finds out she's in for more than she bargained for in the dream world ruled and held by its fluid King.

After reading the first volume of Sandman last year, which I adored, I really didn't think Gaiman could ever top it.

I have been proven wrong.

This lovely, wonderful, epic piece of literature was stunning in every way possible, and is easily my current favorite volume of the series. The pacing, the art, the story (DAMN!), and the writing were not only top notch, but were pure Gaiman. We got intrigue, we got mystery, we got suspense, and most importantly we got a plot so interwoven with twists and turns, you can't help but being surprised.

I'm not sure how to write this review, except perhaps to drool a little bit.

Anyway, The Doll's is an excellent addition to the Gaiman's Sandman series, as well to the comic genre. The comic can be read on its own or as part of the series, there are only a few references you might not get if you haven't read the first one, but the comic is very self contained and ends the arc completely. In some ways, this self contained aspect to Sandman is almost seen throughout the series (as far as I can tell), allowing readers to pick up wherever they like because, like Sandman himself, it's fluid and ever moving. I'm more of a fan of reading them in order, but I don't think it's totally necessary to the series? (I could be wrong)

I'm not going to really get into a discussion about the storyline in this volume, save to assure you it's freaking brilliant. The interweave of plots, sub plots, and (seemingly) random additions all somehow come together in this piece, and flow easily with their thematic similarities that Gaiman keeps popping in and out throughout the piece.

The art is, as always, wonderfully done with a lively mix of colors. I'm never disappointed when I read Sandman for the art, and the Doll's House is no exception. The artists really know how to meld their designs to Gaiman's vision, and their visuals work wonderfully with the plot and writing.

All in all, this second volume to the Sandman series is absolutely fantastic and lives up to the hype and awesomeness I experience in Preludes and Nocturnes. I have no complaints. 5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 2.