Jacinda's Reviews > The Girl of Fire and Thorns

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

Aug 29, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from August 18 to 20, 2011

I wanted to pick up The Girl of Fire and Thorns when I heard it being compared to another fantasy young adult novel which told a story of a kick-ass girl…one of my favorite heroine characters of all time. I admit I had very high hopes going into this one and I was almost iffy to start reading it…I didn’t want to be let-down. The Girl of Fire and Thorns didn’t live up to my expectations, but I did enjoy reading it.

I was pulled into this book within the first couple of pages. I was interested in Elisa and I wanted to know her story. I was sympathetic to her and I wanted to know where this journey of marriage to a King and the Godstone she’s been blessed with is going to take her. This story blesses us with a main character that isn’t always seen as beautiful, she’s overweight and knows this and she has thoughts about it constantly.

The story and world is very complex (including names of people and places) and it is somewhat difficult to understand at first. After reading for 50 pages or so everything starts to fall into place. After about halfway through, I started to lose interest in the book. It was another situation where I was just reading to get to the ending. I’m not sure of the reason for my lost interest, but it did pick up at the ending. I was surprised by how things turned out and I was a bit shocked.

The story does have an ending that gives you closure even though it isn’t all happy, but at the same time we know there’s more to come from Elisa. Will I read Fire and Thorns #2? I might…I’m still undecided at this point. I’m happy with the ending of book number one and it seems almost as if it could be a standalone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl of Fire and Thorns.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alex Connolly I finished this today, and I loved it! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it more; but I always find that if a book is compared to one I love, I'm always going to be a little disappointed.

Jacinda Alex wrote: "I finished this today, and I loved it! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it more; but I always find that if a book is compared to one I love, I'm always going to be a little disappointed." I know what you mean...