Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)'s Reviews > Queen of Song and Souls

Queen of Song and Souls by C.L. Wilson

Dec 06, 2010

bookshelves: could-not-put-it-down-books, read-more-than-once, fantasy, epic-series, favorite-series, favorites, great-series, love, love-the-audio, magic, not-young-adult, romance, shapeshifters
Recommended to Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) by: Stacia
Recommended for: Anyone who wants the BEST of fantasy and romance
Read from March 24 to 27, 2015 — I own a copy , read count: 4

[EDIT March 28, 2015 - Re-reading along with Jeanine. I really am not sure how many times I have both read and listened to the audio of this, my favorite fantasy series of all. There are not words for how wonderful this story and the world this author has created. On to the final book and waiting patiently (well no really patiently) for the promised spinoffs that need so badly to be told. On to the last and fifth book and then will put them away for awhile...until I pick them up to take this journey again]

No words for how beautiful this series is. Just finished reading this for the second time in a little over a month. This series is the first for this author, and she is truly brilliant.

I have read this series twice now (first in 2010) (starting my re-read of the last one) as one long book and am so thankful they were already published when I found them. I totally fell into the world of the Fey King Rain and his truemate Ellysetta, and the writing of these books is incredible. I've never read a series where the heroine has been brought through so many twists and turns and who has remained true to who she is and yet grown stronger with every challenge. She constantly falters and questions herself but draws strength from the, pretty much earth shattering, love she and Rain share. Rain is fighting his own demons within himself along with the demands of defending everything and everyone that means anything to him. Ellie's love extends to the amazing quintet of Fey warriors who guard her and to her love of her mortal family. The author has slowly allowed us to understand more and more about why Ellie is what she is and why the most evil Mage wants her so badly. The evil that could overtake her and with her, the world, becomes apparent in this book. Her battle against darkness really IS the story of these books, but there is so much more. There is darkness and terror in these books, but the good and love on the other side is awe inspiring.

There is a lot one could cry about in these books, but this book is the only one that brought me to tears. Like Ellysetta, I came to love the Fey warriors who guard her and to know them so well. Losing one of them the way it happens in this book did make me cry, and yet there is something inspiring about how it happens. I won't do a spoiler though.

I don't remember who recommended these books to me - someone in a Goodreads discussion. I remember someone said it was a "sweet love story" but then someone else said that Rain and Ellysetta's love story was equal to Jamie and Claire in Outlander. That right there made me buy the first book. I would not consider this a "sweet love story" because that is far too simple of a statement for this pair. I definitely would put their love on the level of Jamie and Claire although they are far different stories. This is a forever and ever love like no other.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen of Song and Souls.